Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a simple hi-speed camera

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    Just curious...

How can you make a simple hi-speed camera or a multiple flash making machine(?)?

If there is a way, do tell :biggrin:.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm going to assume here that you're referring to a still camera that can capture rapid movement, rather than a movie camera with a high frame-rate.
    I don't know the specific details, but you should have a camera with the highest shutter speed available, along with a strobe flash that can be triggered by the event that you want to capture. A dark environment helps. In a lightless room, though, you can just leave the shutter open and rely entirely upon the flash for your exposure duration. You might need more sensitive film than usual because of the shortness of exposure. There are a lot of excellent photographers in PF, so some of them can probably help you a lot more.

4. Aug 21, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here's a short introduction to strobe lights at wikipedia, and you might find more useful info at one of the references listed (or just do a google search on strobe lights):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strobe_light

5. Aug 22, 2007 #4

berkeman

You think it's impossible to make a strobe light? I don't understand. Show me some of the google hits that you've gotten that show detailed schematics, and tell me what is impossible about them.

6. Aug 22, 2007 #5
    http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/strobe.asp

Maybe not impossible, yes it's certainly possible, but it looks complicated to me.
    And how those parts cost, I wonder?

7. Aug 22, 2007 #6

russ_watters

$20 at Radio shack would be my guess. If you've never seen a circuit drawing maybe it looks complicated, but there aren't even a dozen components there. You should be able to assemble it and solder it together in about an hour, on the first try.

Warning: That strobe light worked on 110V - I recommend trying a small camera-flash circuit first. A big strobe light can kill you.

8. Aug 22, 2007 #7
    Warning: That strobe light worked on 110V - I recommend trying a small camera-flash circuit first. A big strobe light can kill you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. You mean I can be electrocuted? Great///

9. Aug 22, 2007 #8

berkeman

Thanks. You mean I can be electrocuted? Great///[/QUOTE]

You are kidding around, right? Of course you can get a lethal shock from what you are workin with.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?