Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making the body of a RC helicopter from balsa wood

1. Aug 17, 2014 #1
    Holla peeps,in the nearest future I hope to make a rc helicopter. I've done a series of researches and so far things are falling into place but I've just hit a hard rock. All model Rc I've seen are either made of aluminum, plastic or panel boards so am wondering what about balsa wood? Its light so why is it not used for helicopters. Is it due to the torque of the motor or design of the chopper? My design is shaped like a military drone,flat and virtually triangular in shape with two motors on two edges and a long tail sticking out perpendicularly to the motors. so I need your help to know if balsa wood will be good for the design.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2
    I can't really visualize your design, but I've seen lots of kits made from balsa wood, including helicopters.

Balsa wood is fairly cheap and easy to work with, so why not build a crude prototype first to see if you have any obvious structural issues in your design?

4. Sep 1, 2014 #3
    My design is like a kite cut into two equal halves with a tail sticking out of the longest side and I'll try building a prototype.

5. Sep 1, 2014 #4
    Balsa wood is a pretty common choice for making frames when you are making a DIY (heli/quad/octo) copter on the cheap.

Two pieces of advice, watch your weight and make sure it is held together well. Make sure above all the thing is balanced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook