Mandel quantum eraser: No signal/idler-correlations needed?

In summary, the different depictions of the Mandel quantum eraser experiment suggests that interference can occur without causal relationships between signal and idler photons.
greypilgrim
Hi.
I found slightly different depictions of the Mandel quantum eraser experiment (1991). They are all from German sources, but I think they are pretty clear nonetheless.
The first is from a German schoolbook:
mandel.PNG

The second is from here:
Mandel91.gif

Mandel91_2.gif

They claim that interference appears when the origins of the idler photons are made indistinguishable (second picture in the first setup, first picture in the second setup) and disappears otherwise. However it seems to me that this choice (inserting or pulling out the idler beam splitter in the first setup or the red block in the second could be arbitrarily delayed by making the optical paths of the idler photons longer, even longer than the paths of the signal photons, causing all the weird things like retrocausality or FTL communication.

I know other setups (e.g. Kim et al. (2000)) don't exhibit this since they need to measure correlations between signal and idler photons, which make everything consistent with causality and SRT. Also, in Kim's setup it's not really a choice whether or not the idler photon are indistinguishable, it just happens in 50% of all cases.

Are the depictions above just terrible oversimplifications, or do they really not need to measure correlations? Unfortunately I couldn't find Mandel's original publication.

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
Are the depictions above just terrible oversimplifications
Yes. Not only coincidence counting is missing but some interference sensitive filtering has to be present before detection of idler photon.

zonde said:
interference sensitive filtering
What do you mean by that? Is it a theoretical necessity or something to reduce experimental noise?

greypilgrim said:
What do you mean by that? Is it a theoretical necessity or something to reduce experimental noise?
Actually I was thinking that the setup is like in Walborn experiment: http://laser.physics.sunysb.edu/~amarch/eraser/Walborn.pdf
Then this Cthugha's comment applies: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/quantum-eraser-experiment.300985/#post-2125687 (this is what I meant with "interference sensitive filtering")

I would say that the first experiment (first two pictures) is quite similar to Walborn experiment.
The second experiment however is different. In first picture of second experiment the first idler overlaps in downconverter crystal with the second idler. So for the second downconversion the phases are correlated for idlers and so they are correlated for signal photons as well and you can observe interference without coincidence counter. But you can't propose any FTL communication as second downconversion happens only after you have blocked/not blocked first idler.

What is the Mandel quantum eraser?

The Mandel quantum eraser is a phenomenon in quantum optics where the interference pattern of a photon can be manipulated by altering the path information of its entangled partner photon.

How does the Mandel quantum eraser work?

The Mandel quantum eraser works by using a special setup with two photon detectors, a beam splitter, and a phase shifter. When a photon is detected by one of the detectors, its entangled partner photon is also detected by the other detector, and the interference pattern of the first photon is altered based on the path information of the second photon.

What is the significance of the "no signal/idler-correlations needed" aspect of the Mandel quantum eraser?

The "no signal/idler-correlations needed" aspect of the Mandel quantum eraser means that the interference pattern of the first photon can be manipulated without directly measuring or altering the path information of the first photon. This allows for a non-invasive way to control the interference pattern, which has implications for quantum communication and information processing.

What are the potential applications of the Mandel quantum eraser?

The Mandel quantum eraser has potential applications in quantum communication, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. It can also be used to study the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and test theories such as the uncertainty principle.

What are the limitations of the Mandel quantum eraser?

The Mandel quantum eraser requires a highly controlled experimental setup and precise measurements, which can be challenging to achieve. It also relies on entangled photon pairs, which can be difficult to generate and maintain. Additionally, the effects of decoherence and other environmental influences can impact the results of the experiment.