Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mandelbrot Set- definitive point testing

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    For those of you not familiar with the mandelbrot set, it is the set of all complex numbers c for which the following transform remains finite for an infinite number of iterations:

z --> z^2 + c

z is 0 for the first iteration

My question is this: How can I conclusively determine whether a number is part of the Mandelbrot Set? I am not looking for an approximation, I can do that on my own.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    Should I have posted this somewhere else?
  4. Nov 20, 2008 #3

maybe no-one knows the answer?

I've never studied the Mandlebrot set, but can say the following

- if c is not in the Mandlebrot set then the sequence z_n will eventually diverge, and you can prove this with certainty just by evaluating the sequence accurately enough until z becomes large.

- for certain values of c the sequence z_n will be eventually be periodic and c will be in the Mandlebrot set, and you could compute these values as solutions of polynomials.

- for more general points in the Mandlebrot set I doubt that there is such an algorithm.

edit: Wikipedia seems to back up what I just said

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Evalutating until c becomes large doesn't work except as an approximation. c can get very large as long as it converges finitely eventually. You also cannot prove that c does not converge to a finite number or range through such evaluation.
  6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If c is sufficiently large, iterating must diverge to infinity.
    If z becomes sufficiently large, iterating must diverge to infinity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?