Manufacturer of a 12V car headlight

  • Thread starter Thread starter al8719
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    12v Car
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
al8719
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The manufacturer of a 12V car headlight specifies it will draw a current of 6A. You would like to check this claim with an ammeter designed to measure currents up to 10A and having a resistance of 0.1 Ohms.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7831/oaammeterqk3.th.png
What is the current readings in (A) of figure a) and b)


Homework Equations



I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution


So I think a has a value of 5.71 because 12/(2+.1)...is this wrong...and would figure b) be 0 since the fuse would blow? I'm basically lost.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right on both. Why do you think you are lost?
 
You did the first part right, which would give the current through the circuit for the ammeter and the headlight (if the manufacturer is right).

In the second part the fuse will probably blow, the current would approximately be 120A, which gives a lot of power. Regardless of whether the fuse flows or not, you ought to figure out the current through there, don't just use my approximation. You can use Kirchoff's Voltage Law or Current Law, or both, with Ohm's law.