Many rejections - Not knowing why

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ProbablyNotMe
  • Start date
In summary: position?" "describe a problem that you solved using your expertise." "can you walk me through one of your codes?" "can you tell me about a project you were involved with?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to manage a team?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to learn something quickly?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to lead or contribute to a project?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to work on a deadline?" "tell me about a time when you had to do something you didn't enjoy?" "tell me about a time when you had
ProbablyNotMe said:
Is it typical for companies to unofficially or officially do a background check on me with previous employers/supervisors before they extend an offer?
Yes, we check all references that a prospective employee gives us. It's common in industry (at least my industry) for prospective employers to ask for a couple references that they can call.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Yes, we check all references that a prospective employee gives us. It's common in industry (at least my industry) for prospective employers to ask for a couple references that they can call.
Where in the process does this happen? After the phone screening and before deciding to move forward to the technical interview, or after the technical interview but before extending an offer? I don't put any references in my resume. I only put I will provide them upon request, but I am not sure if HR reaches out to previous employers through unofficial channels or something to ask about me. I didn't do anything wrong to be worried, but what's happening makes me think it might be the case someone has a different take on me, without ever having shown it to me.

I think it would be after your 2nd round of interviews with us. First round is with HR via phone/Zoom/Teams, and 2nd round is in-person with technical 1:1 interviews.

Likes ProbablyNotMe
StatGuy2000 said:
... As I've pointed out before, here in Canada, immigrants from the Middle East/North Africa and African countries have the greatest difficulties in securing employment.
Can I ask why these immigrant groups face the greatest difficulties from all other non-European immigrant groups? I try not to focus on this, and put all the blame on being a non-European white immigrant, because I cannot do anything about it, but I am interested in knowing how this may have affected me in Canada.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
PhD supervisor/student should be a lifelong relationship.
<<Emphasis added.>>

The operative phrase in the sentence above is "should be" . Unfortunately, in some instances, "should be" does not in actuality become "is". I speak both from my own personal PhD experience and from an ~15 yr stint as a volunteer mentor in a program that matched industrial scientists and engineers with STEM students. During the course of that program, my matches included ~12 PhD students, who enrolled in the program because they were not getting sufficient support from their advisors. Their instances spanned the spectrum from benign neglect to egregious abuse by their advisors.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is obvious to all, but particularly at this moment, stay as far as possible from politics. Too many rabid lunatics on both sides pushing their agenda.

ProbablyNotMe said:
I have a question: I am sending emails to my PhD supervisor explaining my situation to get some guidance and help from him, but he stopped responding, after he kept telling me just keep applying and don't give up. My knowledge in my field is now is outdated after 3 years of not working in the field. Is this a normal behavior from PhD supervisors not giving even suggestions to their previous PhD students? Obviously I cannot force him to help me or even to respond, but I believe he could help me. He has previous PhD and master students in the industry. He didn't help at all during my PhD thesis, and also after I finished to get my first job. Now I am worried he won't give me good recommendation because he stopped responding, and he is one of two references I have in my field!
<<Emphasis added>>

By now you should realize that asking what is "normal" isn't very helpful. How other supervisors interact with their students (former or present) is irrelevant. The only interaction that is relevant is the one between your former supervisor and you.

Likes Vanadium 50
CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added>>

By now you should realize that asking what is "normal" isn't very helpful. How other supervisors interact with their students (former or present) is irrelevant. The only interaction that is relevant is the one between your former supervisor and you.
That's true. I was trying to judge if asking my supervisor for help or suggestions is wrong or asking for too much from him, because he stopped responding to me.

ProbablyNotMe said:
I am sending emails to my PhD supervisor explaining my situation to get some guidance and help from him, but he stopped responding, [...]. Now I am worried he won't give me good recommendation because he stopped responding, and he is one of two references I have in my field!
Judging from the other responses you got on this I may be alone with my opinion, but: I do not think that your PhD supervisor is qualified to give you career advice outside of academia. Most university professors never had a full-time job outside of academia. It is also unlikely that former students that left academia keep contact with their supervisor - why should they? Maybe in some very applied disciplines that may be different. In certain fields like civil engineering it is common that some university professors have a first job as the CEO of some company and essentially use the university as their recruiting platform. But if your advisor is not that type of professor, that doesn't help you much.

I think a random stranger on the street is more helpful to you than your PhD advisor. The fact that you got an 8-ball style reply from him ("keep trying") also suggests that. Don't worry about this affecting the recommendation. There is no reason for him to change it, and nothing you can do to improve it, anyways. But I recommend not sending further mails to ask for advice. If he cannot help you, what's he supposed to do?

Timo said:
Most university professors never had a full-time job outside of academia.

This is much less true in engineering than in other fields.

That said, I don't think we have a clear picture on the interaction with the professor. On the one hand, he is "sending emails to my PhD supervisor" who has "stopped responding", but on the other, "In the last 6 years, I contacted my PhD supervisor 4-6 times".

Vanadium 50 said:
This is much less true in engineering than in other fields.

That said, I don't think we have a clear picture on the interaction with the professor. On the one hand, he is "sending emails to my PhD supervisor" who has "stopped responding", but on the other, "In the last 6 years, I contacted my PhD supervisor 4-6 times".
Do we know what the OP's thesis was?

ProbablyNotMe said:
Can I ask why these immigrant groups face the greatest difficulties from all other non-European immigrant groups? I try not to focus on this, and put all the blame on being a non-European white immigrant, because I cannot do anything about it, but I am interested in knowing how this may have affected me in Canada.
I have one simple answer -- racism.

Contrary to what is at times reported, racism is a problem in Canada, and racial prejudice is often most directed towards Indigenous Canadians and immigrants of Middle Eastern/North African and sub-Saharan African backgrounds.

As to what you've said about already working survival jobs, all I can say is to keep at it, as you have no other choices.

StatGuy2000 said:
I have one simple answer -- racism.

Contrary to what is at times reported, racism is a problem in Canada, and racial prejudice is often most directed towards Indigenous Canadians and immigrants of Middle Eastern/North African and sub-Saharan African backgrounds.

As to what you've said about already working survival jobs, all I can say is to keep at it, as you have no other choices.
I hear similar claims in the US, yet if you look at the data
main-qimg-1fc9c4cfbe5c1161ab85335a747fdfab.jpeg

WWGD said:
I hear similar claims in the US, yet if you look at the data View attachment 285785
Surely these are the cream of the crop migrating but not being native/white has not been a major obstacle.

WWGD said:
I hear similar claims in the US, yet if you look at the data View attachment 285785
In the US, the job market is large and vibrant, and the demand in high tech is more than supply, and immigrants are usually highly skilled. In Canada the job market is small and high tech companies are very limited, and thus I believe this discriminations is more common. It's not uncommon so see complete or the vast majority of workforce in companies to be white people. If I see such companies I move on, because I know they won't consider me. The PM is trying to make changes, but I doubt employers would get onboard.

Thread closed for a bit for Moderation...

UPDATE -- Thread will remain closed. We have helped the OP about all that we can, and the thread is starting to head off into the weeds. Thank you everybody for your contributions.

Last edited:
Likes Locrian, osilmag, bob012345 and 1 other person
<h2>1. Why do I keep getting rejected?</h2><p>There could be a variety of reasons why you are experiencing multiple rejections. It could be due to a lack of qualifications or experience, a highly competitive field, or simply not being the right fit for the position. It's important to reflect on your application and try to identify any areas for improvement.</p><h2>2. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted?</h2><p>To improve your chances of getting accepted, you can try networking and building connections in your field, gaining more experience through internships or volunteer work, and continuously working on developing your skills and qualifications. It's also important to tailor your application to each specific job and highlight your strengths.</p><h2>3. Is it common to not receive feedback on rejections?</h2><p>Unfortunately, it is quite common to not receive feedback on rejections. Many companies have a large number of applicants and may not have the resources to provide personalized feedback to each one. However, you can always reach out and politely ask for feedback, as this can help you improve for future applications.</p><h2>4. How can I handle rejection and stay motivated?</h2><p>Rejection can be tough to handle, but it's important to remember that it's a natural part of the job search process. Instead of dwelling on the rejections, try to focus on the positives and keep moving forward. You can also seek support from friends, family, or a career counselor to help you stay motivated.</p><h2>5. Should I follow up after a rejection?</h2><p>It's generally not recommended to follow up after a rejection, as it can come across as pushy or desperate. However, if you have a genuine reason to follow up (such as an updated resume or additional qualifications), you can reach out politely and briefly. Otherwise, it's best to focus on other opportunities.</p>

1. Why do I keep getting rejected?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are experiencing multiple rejections. It could be due to a lack of qualifications or experience, a highly competitive field, or simply not being the right fit for the position. It's important to reflect on your application and try to identify any areas for improvement.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted?

To improve your chances of getting accepted, you can try networking and building connections in your field, gaining more experience through internships or volunteer work, and continuously working on developing your skills and qualifications. It's also important to tailor your application to each specific job and highlight your strengths.

3. Is it common to not receive feedback on rejections?

Unfortunately, it is quite common to not receive feedback on rejections. Many companies have a large number of applicants and may not have the resources to provide personalized feedback to each one. However, you can always reach out and politely ask for feedback, as this can help you improve for future applications.

4. How can I handle rejection and stay motivated?

Rejection can be tough to handle, but it's important to remember that it's a natural part of the job search process. Instead of dwelling on the rejections, try to focus on the positives and keep moving forward. You can also seek support from friends, family, or a career counselor to help you stay motivated.

5. Should I follow up after a rejection?

It's generally not recommended to follow up after a rejection, as it can come across as pushy or desperate. However, if you have a genuine reason to follow up (such as an updated resume or additional qualifications), you can reach out politely and briefly. Otherwise, it's best to focus on other opportunities.