1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal stabilty in s domain

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to get a better understanding of marginal stability and the s domain in general. According to my textbook, a system that is marginally stable has poles that are conjugates of each other on the jω axis, and their magnitude are the resonant frequency for which if a sinusoid of that frequency were applied the system would become unstable. For any other input the system remains stable.
    I was hoping to see the effect of applying a resonant frequency sinusoid to a marginally stable system, by applying the transformed sinusoid to the transfer function, and inverting back to the time domain. I used, as suggested in my textbook transfer with the characteristic equation: [itex] (s^{2}+ 16) [/itex] which has the roots [itex] (s-j4) (s+j4) [/itex] which are complex conjugates that lie only on the imaginary axis, jω. To apply the resonant frequency sinusoid: [itex] sin(4t) \Rightarrow \frac{4}{s^{2}+a^{16}} [/itex] : so
    [itex] \frac{4}{s^{2}+a^{16}} \times T(s) = \frac{4}{s^{2}+a^{16}} \frac{1}{s^{2}+a^{16}} [/itex] :
    I expected to end up with something of the form [itex] e^{at}\times sin(4t) [/itex] where a is a positive constant and the function increases as t increases, as I would have expected a marginally stable system to do when an on frequency sinusoid is applied, but I keep ending up with a function in the time domain of the form [itex] sin(4t) + \frac{1}{4}sin(4t) [/itex].
    Anyway, should I be able to observe the system "blow up" using an s domain method like this, or should i have gotten the answer I was looking for and maybe my algebra was unable to find the correct form?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2015 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook