1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markov chain calibration to a set of cumulated frequencies.

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been given such a task:
    A population of firms can assume three states: good-bad-bankrupt (default)
    The cumulated frequencies of default (DP) from year 1 to 10 are given.
    Find an appropriate transition matrix (TM)

I'm given a matrix of historical cumulated frequencies of default like this:

DP =

firm type/year
    1 2 3 and so on
    good 0.7 0.5 0.3
    bad 0.8 0.6 0.4

and i have to find a transition matrix which looks like the following

good bad default
    good ? ? ?
    bad ? ? ?
    default 0 0 1

2. Relevant equations
    gives the transition matrix from year 1 to n, and specifically the column "default" will show the cumulative frequencies of defaults in year n.

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically i have to minimize the difference between the defaults column of the TM and the cumulated frequencies (DP) i am given for TM^n, with n from 1 to 10 years, therefore i have 10 equations like

Min --> TM^n(last column)-DP(n)

- 1st and 2nd row have to sum to 1
    - last row has to be 0,0,1

I would appreciate if someone could help me to frame this problem ;)

Hint: i read on a paper that was doing that exercise they used "least squares", but in my studies i have never gone beyond fitting a time series, while here i have a matrix annd i am completely lost :(
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2
    Hi, anyone? :(
  4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    If you want help, you'll have to frame it in mathematical terms. Let me try and understand. You have a list of probabilities for a firm to default, one vector for each year, D(n), given a firm's state in year 1. You want to find the 3x3 transition matrix, T, such that a firm in default stays in default with probability 1 and that after n years the probability that a firm will go into default is as close as possible to the given probabilities for that year, i.e. T^n - D(n) is minimal.

Is the problem asking for an exact, symbolic minimization or some sort of regression, best fit algorithmic approach?
  5. Aug 18, 2008 #4
    hi thanks for helping out!

The Default state is absorbing, meaning the prob for a defaulted firm to become good or bad is 0, hence the last row of my transition matrix is [0,0,1].

I was told to find an approximation method, suggesting least squares.

However i would not know how to set up the problem, as in my studies i have just come across rather simple OLS or linear programming problems, while this is a bit more complicated, because the objective function doesn't look any linear.

Unknown: Transition Matrix (T)

Problem: Min(T^n-D(n))

-by T^n i mean the last column which contains the probabilities to migrate to Default State.
    - D(n) data is available for n=1 to 40

- T(Good,Good)+T(Good,Bad)+T(Good,Default)=1
    - T(Bad,Good)+T(Bad,Bad)+T(Bad,Default)=1

- T(Default,Default)=1 T(Default,Good)=0 T(Default,Bad)=0
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?