1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markov Random Field - Understanding the Definition

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    First encounter with the term, I'd like some help understanding it. I know there are several approaches, but this one is important to me because I'm trying to understand an article that uses it throughout its text.

Definition: Let G=(V,E) be a finite (connected) graph and let S be a finite set. A random element X taking values in [tex]S^V[/tex] is said to be a Markov random field if for each [tex]W\subset V[/tex], the conditional distribution of X(W) given X(V\W) depends on X(V\W) only through its values on [tex]\partial W[/tex].

It goes on to write this mathematically, which I will write down here if you ask me to. My problem is with the phrase "A random element X taking values in...".
    I just want to know from where to where X is. Obviously X takes values in [tex]S^V[/tex], so this is the range of X. What is its domain?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obviously X's domain is W. E.g. X(w) = 1 if w = Head, X(w) = 0 if w = Tail. Then W = {Head, Tail).

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    I don't have W, I have only V and S.

Did you mean V? So [tex]X:V\rightarrow S^V[/tex]?

I don't see the sense of that - V doesn't represent states, it is the vertices's set of the graph.

Could you explain?

5. Aug 18, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right, W is a subset of V; so the domain is V.

6. Aug 19, 2007 #5
    I can't see why. Needless to say I believe you, but I don't understand it.

You're telling me that [tex]X:V\rightarrow S^V[/tex]? I can't see why, V represents locations, not outcomes in some experiment. I mean, are we assigning to each atom a configuration of the whole system?

Besides, what is the probability measure on V?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  7. Aug 19, 2007 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I should have differentiated between a vector X of random variables and a set X of random variables. From your definition, X is a set of random variables. Each vertex v of V represents an element of X.

In the 2-D Isling model, (V,E) looks like:
    ????
    ????
    ????
    ????
    where each ? is a vertex v with two possible values (+,-) and 4 neighbors (North, East, South, West), unless it is sitting on the boundary.

Had X been defined as a vector, the domain of X would have been the sample space [itex]\Omega[/itex] which underlies the joint probability P(X = x).

But for a subset U of V, X(U) denotes the image of "those vertices that are included in U." (When X is a set, there is an implicit selection process w/r/t which vertices to include in the set.)

Although the v's in V have the joint domain [itex]\Omega[/itex], the domain of the set X is defined as V. This emphasizes the selection process. At least that's how I understand it.

A more complete notation would be to write [itex]\bold X(V(\Omega_V))[/itex] = SV. Although with some misuse of notation one might write [itex]\Omega_V[/itex] for V. This would fold the selection process into the sample space.

A free e-book can be found at: http://www.ams.org/online_bks/conm1/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?