Mass absorption coefficient of aluminium

In summary, during a scientific experiment, a radioactive source and Geigor counter were used along with aluminium plates to produce data for an absorption curve. A value for the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium was obtained and compared to the accepted value, which was not immediately found on Google. It was suggested to look at the NIST data for x-rays and to consider if the source used was gamma.
ZedCar
I was conducting an experiment, and we had to use a radioactive source and a Geigor counter, in conjunction with aluminium plates.

Using the data we produced we had to graph an absorption curve and obtain a value for the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium.

Then we had to compare this value with the accepted value for the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium.

Would anyone here know what the accepted value is, as I can't seem to locate it on Google, or anywhere else.

Thank you. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mass attenuation coefficient perhaps?
Of course, those that the NIST data for x-rays ... I'm guessing yours was a gamma source?
Now you know what to look up, you should be able to find it.

Simon Bridge said:
I'm guessing yours was a gamma source?

Yes.

I'll have another look. Thank you.

What is the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium?

The mass absorption coefficient of aluminium refers to the measure of the ability of aluminium to absorb radiation at a specific wavelength. It is typically expressed in units of cm2/g and is dependent on the energy of the radiation and the density of the material.

How is the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium calculated?

The mass absorption coefficient of aluminium can be calculated by dividing the linear attenuation coefficient by the density of the material. The linear attenuation coefficient can be determined experimentally by measuring the intensity of the radiation before and after passing through a sample of aluminium.

What factors affect the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium?

The mass absorption coefficient of aluminium is affected by the energy of the radiation, the density of the material, and the composition of the aluminium alloy. It is also influenced by the thickness and purity of the sample.

Why is the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium important?

The mass absorption coefficient of aluminium is important in various scientific applications, such as in X-ray imaging and radiation therapy. It helps determine the amount of radiation that can be absorbed by aluminium and how it can affect the properties of the material.

Is the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium constant?

No, the mass absorption coefficient of aluminium is not constant and can vary depending on the energy of the radiation and the properties of the material. It is important to take this into consideration when using aluminium in radiation-related applications.