1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass and Moment of Inertia of a Planet

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a gaseous spherical planet with a nonconstant density rho(r) = rho_o (1 - r / R), where rho_0 is the maximum density attained at the planet's core, R is the radius of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet.
    Use calculus to find the total mass of the planet in terms of rho_0 and R. Then find the moment of inertia of the planet in terms of its total mass M and R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the Mass of the planet as (rho_o * pi *R3)/3

I integrated thin spherical shells to find the total mass using the integral - 4piR2dr*density

Then I found average density as rho_o/4

Now, I am using the integration of thin solid disks to find teh moment of inertia of the sphere...which comes out to be 8/15 * density*pi R5

If we substitute the averahe density in terms of M in the above equation, the answer comes out to be 2/5 * M*R2 but I think the correct answer is 4/15*M*R2

Can anyone tell me if I am correct or am I doing something wrong
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't use the average density to find the moment of inertia. rho_0*pi*R^3/3 is the mass all right. To get the moment of inertia, I used that the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is (2/3)*m(r)*r^2. m(r)=rho(r)*4*pi*r^2*dr. Integrating the whole thing does give (4/15)*M*R^2. It would be tough to use disks, since they don't have uniform density.
  4. Jan 6, 2009 #3

I got it. I guess I was too impatient to think clearly :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?