1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass conservation in fluid mechanics

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    Part of the mechanics course I'm taking this semester are also fluids, but the material our teacher gave us to this topic is very poor (but unfortunately I haven't found a better source). The problem is that there are many "magic formulas", which come just out of nowhere - without any explanation.
    I have a problem with the very first chapter and that is the mass conservation in fluids.
    So if we have a fluid in a pipe with constant area S,
    fluid has density [tex]\varrho(x,t)[/tex] (depending on time and location), and velocity v(x,t) then the mass of the fluid in volume [tex]V = S*\Delta x[/tex] is [tex]m = S*\Delta x * \varrho[/tex]
    And now the formula I don't understand occurs:
    [tex]\frac{\partial (\varrho*S*\Delta x)}{\partial t} = \varrho(x,t)*v(x,t)*S - \varrho(x+ \Delta x,t)*v(x+ \Delta x,t)*S[/tex]
    Could someone plaese explain me how can we come to that equation?
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1.Mass conservation implies that the only way in which the mass within the pipe region of length [itex]\bigtriangleup{x}[/itex] and cross-sectional area S is that mass either leaves or enters the region (there is no mass source or sink within the region).
    2. The change of mass within the region from time t to [itex]t+\bigtriangleup{t}[/itex] is clearly given by:
    3. However, the amount of mass entering the region from the "x"-side during the same time interval is given by:
    whereas the amount of mass leaving at the [itex]x+\bigtriangleup{x}[/itex]-side is given by:
    Thus, we have an alternative expression for [itex]\bigtriangleup{m}[/itex]:
    4. Setting these expressions for the change in mass equal to each other yields finally:
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    thanks a lot, this was really helpful.

But unfortunately I am stuck again - now with turbulent flow:
    [tex]\frac {\partial \rho v_{x}}{\partial t} + \frac {\partial \rho v_{x}^2}{\partial x} = -\frac {\partial p}{\partial x} + \rho g_{x} - \frac {\lambda \rho V_{x}^2}{2D}[/tex]

there are some symbols that are unknown to me - D is probably hydraulic diameter, but I don't know what [tex]V_{x}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] stand for. And another thing - further in the text when solving some problems the left side of the equation is 0 - why?
    Any ideas?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?