Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-energy equivalence and how it relates to the content of the universe

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    I've always been interested in Physics so have finally decided to do a Physics degree. I've been reading various things to help prepare myself and have just been reading about the laws of thermodynamics and mass-energy equivalence. As I'm reading through different articles about these subjects I've been surprised at the lack of mention about how this relates to the total mass-energy in the universe.

It's my understanding that everything that exists, right down to the atoms in our bones came from the energy that was released in the big bang. Over time as the universe cooled, some of this energy became sub atomic particles, then atoms were born. So essentially through mass-energy conversion the energy that existed back then exists in everything around us. So, for example, following this keyboard back through time would show that every part of it was in existence back then but obviously in different form. Am I understanding this right? Most of what I've been reading seems to relate to things on a much smaller scale so I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting things or if what I'm thinking about relates to a completely different theory.

It's probably a silly question but I'm still learning.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

You are correct, everything you see around you was present at the big bang. It's just the configuration that has changed.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Is this process solely down to mass-energy conversion or does it relate to any other theorys? Like I said previously I've been reading about this theory but found very little mention of how it relates to the universe. Is it just not mentioned because it's obvious or could I find more information about it in a slightly different subject?

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Thermodynamics and entropy might be good places to start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook