1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass falling in Earth's Gravity help

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle falls in Earth's gravity. The force of air resistance is F = −αv v where v is the velocity, v is the speed, and α is a constant. (The direction of the force is opposite to the velocity, and the magnitude of the force is αv^2.) If the terminal speed is 20.2 m/s and the mass is 2.6 kg, determine the constant α.

2. Relevant equations
    F=mdv/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    m(dv/dt)=mg-aplhav
    thus v(t)=(mg/aplha)(1-e^(-(alpha/m)t))
    so aplha if im correct should be (mg/Vterminal)=1.263, however im not sure of the units for this. My guess would be kg/s however my homework programs says that is incorrect, and also I feel I may have neglected the [/B]v[/B] and the magnitude of the opposing force causing a wrong answer.
    If someone could shed some light on this it is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

From your formula it seems that you need to use

F=-αv2 so you'd have

ma = mg - αv2

4. Jun 16, 2011 #3
    If thats the case then what does the F=-αv mean? To me, the question is pretty confusing as far as what goes where.

5. Jun 16, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

At terminal velocity the velocity is constant. So the acceleration must be nil. What can you say about the forces acting in that case?

6. Jun 16, 2011 #5
    it would be dv/dt=a=0 thus the net forces are balanced, I guess my confusion is what is the question asking for as the resistive force F=-αv or F=-αv^2?

7. Jun 16, 2011 #6

gneill

Well, I'd go with the magnitude of the resistive force and make the appropriate assumption about its direction for a body falling straight down :wink:

I do find the notation vv a bit odd. I mean, why not v with a unit vector for direction? Maybe it's just me...:smile:

8. Jun 16, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The magnitude of F = −αv v, where the second v is a vector is -av^2. And it points in a direction opposite to the vector v if a is a positive constant.

9. Jun 16, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the problem statement says the magnitude is av^2. So I don't think they mean the vector v to be a unit. As you said.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. Jun 16, 2011 #9

gneill

Hi Dick, That was my point; it wasn't a (magnitude)*(unit-vector) construct, but rather a magnitude*vector (vv as opposed to v2u).

On reflection, I can see the utility of doing it this way when the magnitude you want is the square of the vector. vv rather than v2*(v/v).

11. Jun 16, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi gneill, yeah, I realized what you meant after I posted. Nothing wrong with the unit vector notation either. At least it makes the velocity dependence clearer than it was to kraigandrews.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook