1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling Rain Drop (Variable Mass)

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a rain drop with mass ##m_0\neq 0## is falling due to gravity with initial velocity ##v_0##, assume ##\frac{dm}{dt}=k=##constant. Solve the differential equation and determine the velocity as ##t\to\infty##

2. Relevant equations
    ##F=\frac{dp}{dt}=\dot{m}v+m\dot{v}##
    3. The attempt at a solution

Since ##F=mg## the D.E. is ##\dot{m}v+m\dot{v}=mg##, substituting in ##\frac{dm}{dt}=k## we find ##kv+m\dot{v}=mg##, since the mass increases with time we have ##m=m_0+kt##. One method I've attempted is essentially using the integrating factor but since the LHS is already a product rule derivative I don't need to multiply it by anything so:

$$\frac{d}{dt}(mv)=mg \\
    \int \frac{d}{dt}(mv)dt=\int mg dt=\int mg \frac{dt}{dm}dm=\frac{g}{k}\int_{m_0}^{m} m\, dm\\
    v(m_0+kt)+C=\frac{g}{2k}((m_0+kt)^2-m_0^2)=\frac{g}{2k}(2m_0kt+k^2t^2)
    $$

at ##t=0##, ##v=v_0\Rightarrow##, ##v_0(m_0+0)+C=0\Longrightarrow C=-v_0m_0##

therefore...

$$v(m_0+kt)-v_0m_0=gm_0t+\frac{gkt^2}{2}\\
    v(m_0+kt)=m_0(v_0+gt)+\frac{gkt^2}{2} \\
    v=\frac{m_0(v_0+gt)}{m_0+kt}+\frac{gkt^2}{2(m_0+kt)}
    $$

Now I find this solution a bit odd since my professor said that it would become asymptotic but I think he's wrong about this? The first term will approach ##\frac{m_0g}{k}## but the second term clearly diverges as ##t\to\infty## and it doesn't make sense that an object would reach a terminal velocity without drag. I suppose you could say it asymptotically goes to infinity but it's increasing linearly...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

4. Apr 20, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By itself that means nothing. What is supposed to tend asymptotically to a constant, or to a certain function of what?
    The link DrSteve posted shows the acceleration tends to a constant.

5. Apr 20, 2016 #4
    Okay I suppose I'm just too used to thinking of functions converging to a constant when that term is mentioned.

6. Apr 20, 2016 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The velocity tends to a simple function as t tends to infinity. What is that simple function?

7. Apr 20, 2016 #6
    I believe it's just ##v=\frac{m(t)g}{k}## from setting ##\dot{v}=0## in the D.E.

Simplifying my expression for ##v(t)## would give ##v(t)=\frac{m_0g}{k}+\frac{gt}{2}## though

Sorry for so many edits but just noticed that the first one becomes ##v=\frac{m_0g}{k}+gt## which is almost the same as the result from simplification.

8. Apr 20, 2016 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can not set ##\dot v = 0##. The acceleration does not tend to zero. At great t, v increases linearly with time with rate g/2 instead of g as it were for a constant-mass body.

9. Apr 20, 2016 #8
    Whoops, I realize now it doesn't make much sense to set acceleration equal to 0 :)

Interestingly at large t, it appears v always increases by ##g/2## regardless of ##\alpha## for ##\frac{dm}{dt}=k^{\alpha}##

10. Apr 20, 2016 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##k^{\alpha}## is just an other constant. Why do you mix alpha in? It was said that dm/dt=k.

11. Apr 20, 2016 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is interesting the acceleration at long time tends to g/2, regardless of k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted