Mass hanging from a flexible wire

• Thread starter ASmc2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Wire
In summary, the author attempted to solve for the tension in a string by applying F=ma to the point where two "triangles" meet, but was lost because the tension was not related to the force when the force was perpendicular to the extended object. The author found that the tension is 5mg and if plugged into the equation for T, yields L0/20=y. Otherwise, the author is clueless on how to get L0/20=y.
ASmc2

Homework Statement

See attachment please.

Homework Equations

The definition for Young's modulus. Newtons second law. Pythagoras' formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from physics 1 that I have to apply F=ma to the point where two "triangles" meet. The phrase "the tension" implies that the tension is the same everywhere on the string. If this is true, though, my answer for tension does not fit with the book's answer. I do not know how the tension would be related to the force when the force is perpendicular to object that is extended. Please provide me with hints, i am clueless. I attempted a solution assuming that extension of the string was solely vertical, but I got L_0/50 for y. The answer is L_0/20. The tension is supposedly 5mg. If I plug that into my equation for T, it spits out L_0/20=y. Otherwise, I have not a clue how to get L_0/20=y. Thanks!

Attachments

• PROB1.png
    PROB1.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your working, in particular your analysis of the forces acting on the mass and any equations you derive. Create unknowns as necessary. Include nan equation for the modulus based on the initial info.

I do not know how the tension would be related to the force when the force is perpendicular to object that is extended

Ah but it is not exactly perpendicular in the final position is it.

What haruspex said, draw a diagram showing the forces acting on the weight when it's in it's final position.

Note that their diagram is wrong. The problem says the mass is hung in the midpoint.

CWatters said:
Ah but it is not exactly perpendicular in the final position is it.

What haruspex said, draw a diagram showing the forces acting on the weight when it's in it's final position.

Note that their diagram is wrong. The problem says the mass is hung in the midpoint.

Yes. Their diagram IS wrong. If we call the tension on the right leg of the triangle T1 and the other leg T2. Then T1cos(theta)=T2cos(beta), right? Theta and beta are angles between the respective legs and the horizontal. If the mass IS at midpoint, THEN beta=theta. If that is true, my calculation for y gives about L0/50! (See attachment) The book says the answer is L0/20. That answer would be possible with sig figs, but even then y^2 has to be missing a factor of 4. I checked a billion times, the author must have made a mistake. Again, see the attached analysis. When you do the numerical calculation, you will see what I am saying.

Attachments

• prob1-2.png
    prob1-2.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 476
ASmc2 said:
Yes. Their diagram IS wrong. If we call the tension on the right leg of the triangle T1 and the other leg T2. Then T1cos(theta)=T2cos(beta), right? Theta and beta are angles between the respective legs and the horizontal. If the mass IS at midpoint, THEN beta=theta. If that is true, my calculation for y gives about L0/50! (See attachment) The book says the answer is L0/20. That answer would be possible with sig figs, but even then y^2 has to be missing a factor of 4. I checked a billion times, the author must have made a mistake. Again, see the attached analysis. When you do the numerical calculation, you will see what I am saying.

It appears to me that in your analysis you are assuming that the fractional increase in length will still be .001 when hanging the mass on the sagging horizontal wire. But when the mass is hung on the horizontal wire, the tension will be greater than if you just hang the mass vertically from one end of the wire. Will the amount of stretch be the same?

What Tshy said.

Vertically you have mg = 2 * T * Sin(θ)

so

T = mg/2Sin(θ)

When θ approaches zero, Sin(θ) approaches zero and T approaches ∞.

With the weight hanging vertically Tv = mg so the tension and extension scales by 1/2Sin(θ).

CWatters said:
What Tshy said.

Vertically you have mg = 2 * T * Sin(θ)

so

T = mg/2Sin(θ)

When θ approaches zero, Sin(θ) approaches zero and T approaches ∞.

With the weight hanging vertically Tv = mg so the tension and extension scales by 1/2Sin(θ).

OK. TShy is right. Be assured that my formula says the same thing.

Can somebody tell me if my equation for y^2 is correct?

ASmc2 said:
Can somebody tell me if my equation for y^2 is correct?

Not if you're letting a = .001.

TSny said:
Not if you're letting a = .001.

Thanks. I realize that now. I am bilingual, so I will blame that for my misinterpretation of the problem. :smile:

Ok! The problem was solved after my last reply. Thank you very much everyone!

What is a mass hanging from a flexible wire?

A mass hanging from a flexible wire is a physical system where a weight or object is suspended from a wire or string that has some degree of flexibility or elasticity.

What factors affect the motion of a mass hanging from a flexible wire?

The motion of a mass hanging from a flexible wire is affected by several factors, including the weight of the mass, the length and elasticity of the wire, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

How does the elasticity of the wire affect the motion of the mass?

The elasticity of the wire plays a crucial role in the motion of the mass. A more elastic wire will stretch and deform more under the weight of the mass, leading to a longer period of oscillation. A less elastic wire will have a shorter period of oscillation.

What is the relationship between the length of the wire and the period of oscillation?

The length of the wire and the period of oscillation have an inverse relationship. This means that as the length of the wire increases, the period of oscillation decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the wire, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the weight of the mass affect the period of oscillation?

The weight of the mass also has an impact on the period of oscillation. A heavier mass will take longer to swing back and forth, resulting in a longer period of oscillation. This relationship is described by the formula T=2π√(L/mg), where T is the period, L is the length of the wire, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.