Finding the depression and the tension of the string

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 4K views
ehild said:
You droppwd a "2" somewhere. I got the given result, ΔL=L0/20, with approximating L≈L0 where it was possible (Lis the stretched length):
Pythagoras: (L/2)2-(L0/2)2=y2 ----> (L-L0)(L+L0)=4y2
using L≈L0,
(L-L0)=2y2/L0. (1)
Given for spring constant: k=1000mg/L0, (2)
From Hook's Law, and using (1) and (2):
k(L-L0)=T, that is 2000mgy2/L02=T. (3)
From force balance: mg=2Tcos(θ). As cos(θ)=y/(L/2) mg=4Ty/L (4).
From (3) and (4), and taking L≈L0, the result is y=L0/20.
Thanks, I've found it.
Post #22 fourth equation should read ##2a=l_0+\delta##, not ##2a=l_0+2\delta##.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also confused as to where the factor of two comes into play. For my equations, I have:

$$[1] \qquad F_{net,y} = mg = 2Tsin(\theta) \approx 2Ttan(\theta) \Rightarrow T = \frac{mg}{2tan(\theta)}$$ where ##\theta## is the angle between the horizontal and and the wire.
$$[2] \qquad tan(\theta) = \frac{y}{\frac{l_0}{2}} = \frac{2y}{l_0}$$
$$[3] \qquad l'^2 = y^2 + (\frac{l_0}{2})^2 \ \Rightarrow l' \approx \frac{l_0}{2} + \frac{y^2}{l_0}$$ where I used the binomial expansion to expand the root term above
$$[4] \qquad T = k(l' - \frac{l_0}{2}) = \frac{mgy^2}{\delta l_0}$$

combining it all, I end up with:

$$y^3 = \frac{l_0^3}{4000}$$

and the only way I end up with the correct solution of ##y=\frac{l_0}{20}## is if in the 4th equation that ##T=2k(l' - \frac{l_0}{2})##. Is there any physical reason as to why that should be the case?
 
magic said:
the only way I end up with the correct solution of ##y=\frac{l_0}{20}## is if in the 4th equation that ##T=2k(l' - \frac{l_0}{2})##. Is there any physical reason as to why that should be the case?
Indeed there is.
The whole wire has relaxed length ##l_0## and is extended to length ##2l'##.
k is the constant for the wire as a whole. Half the wire would have twice the constant.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: magic
Thank you haruspex! It completely slipped from me that ##k## depends just as much on the geometry of the wire as it does with the material.