1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-Radius relation of a Neutron star

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    Hey all,

I need a help to determine the Mass-Radius relationship for a neutron star. I've done it for a white dwarf, but for a neutron star I need to know the Neutron degeneracy pressure expression, can anyone please help me to solve it?

I am thinking that if I have the n.deg.pressure expression then I can use the hydrostatic equilibrium, and assume the masses of proton and neutron to be exactly equal;

I am not sure, but I might also need the density ratio? is it correct? for instance for a white dwarf, I have [ro_c]/[ro_mean] = 5.99, I don't know the value for a neutron star.

please help me,
    thanks,
    T

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2
    for non relativistic case the degeneracy pressure varies as:- p=k*(density)^(5/3). The 'k' here you can easily calculate my first calculating the total energy of degenerate neutron gas and then differentiating it w.r.t volume to get pressure.

4. Oct 18, 2008 #3
    neutron star mass-radius relation...

The neutron star mass-radius relation is dependent on a particular neutron star model, however the mass-radius relation for my model based upon the Proton charge radius and Tolman mass equation solution VII:

[tex]m_n = 1.6749272928 \cdot 10^{-27} \; \text{kg}[/tex] - Neutron mass
    [tex]r_p = 0.8757 \cdot 10^{-15} \; \text{m}[/tex] - Proton charge radius

Proton charge radius neutron density:
    [tex]\rho_n = \frac{3 m_n}{4 \pi r_p^3}[/tex]

Neutron star core density equivalent to Proton charge radius neutron density:
    [tex]\rho_c = \rho_n[/tex]

Total Tolman mass equation solution VII:
    [tex]M_0(R) = \frac{8 \pi \rho_c R^3}{15} = \frac{8 \pi R^3}{15} \left( \frac{3 m_n}{4 \pi r_p^3} \right) = \frac{2 m_n R^3}{5 r_p^3}[/tex]

Total mass-radius equation for the Tolman solution VII:
    [tex]\boxed{M_0(R) = \frac{2 m_n R^3}{5 r_p^3}}[/tex]

Mass of a 10 km radius Tolman VII neutron star:
    [tex]\boxed{M_0(10 \; \text{km}) = 9.976 \cdot 10^{29} \; \text{kg}}[/tex]

Note that the lower limit for total radius R, is equivalent to the Schwarzschild radius and the upper limit for total mass M(R), is equivalent to the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkov mass limit.

Reference:
    Neutron - Wikipedia
    TOV #39 - Orion1
    TOV #47 - Orion1
    Schwarzschild radius - Wikipedia
    Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff mass limit - Wikipedia

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  5. Oct 25, 2008 #4

Tuugii, what is your mass-radius equation for a white dwarf?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?