1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-spring system in SHM concept question

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1raq6x.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well since spring is in SHM, only conservative forces are at play here. So using conservation of energy, the kinetic energy would be the change in potential energy. Which I have set up as

KE = 1/2k(A^2)2 - 1/2k(A/4)2

after some algebra, combining like terms with common denominators I am left with,

KE = (15/32)kA2

now when I take the fraction of the two, PE/KE of

(15/32)kA2 / 1/2mv2

I get (15/16)kA2/mvf2

So I'm thinking my answer would be 15/16

I don't know whether to just ignore the variables since there was no value in them or I find a way to relate them since I was given a frequency?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So far so good. :approve:

Sorry but I'm not following you there. :uhh:

What's the total energy of the system? Once you find that you can find the ratio of kinetic energy over total energy.

It might be 15/16. But if so, you haven't quite shown why yet.

Hint: your next step is to find the total energy of the system.

[Edit: Another hint: the total energy of the system is conserved, and doesn't change with time. :wink:]

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. May 7, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The reason this is a "conceptual" problem, as opposed to a "calculation" problem is that you can use the fact that the potential energy of a spring is proportional to the extension or compression of the spring to quickly find the ratio. When the mass is at distance A from the equilibrium all of the energy is potential, when it is distance 0 from equilibrium, none of it is. when it is at distance A/4 from equilbrium (and so 3A/4 from greatest extension) what fraction of the energy is potential energy? What fraction is kinetic?

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  5. May 7, 2013 #4
    Oh I think I've figured it out. The total energy of the system can either be when x is at it's max "A", or when the velocity is at it's max = v_max. So I need an equation for the kinetic energy, which I set up as

1/2mvf^2 = 1/2kA^2, which gives me the Vfinal I can use to substitute into the kinetic energy equation above which allows me to take the ratio, and everything being cancelled out I am just left with 15/16

6. May 7, 2013 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you mean the potential energy is proportional to the square of the extension or compression. :smile:

I am not familiar with whatever you are doing with the "1/2mvf^2." :uhh: Maybe you mean [itex] \frac{1}{2}m(v_{max})^2?[/itex].

But yes, the potential energy of the system is [itex] \frac{1}{2}kA^2 [/itex] when the extension is equal to A. You can use that (and a hints from HallsofIvy and myself [my previous post]) to determine the total energy of the system. :wink:

In other words, you could solve for [itex] v_{max} [/itex] and substitute things around. But it's not necessary to even bring [itex] v_{max} [/itex] into the problem. If you know what the potential energy is at maximum extension, then you also know the total system energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted