1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass to energy equivalence question

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An unknown amount of mass lost from a fusion reaction is converted to energy. Determine the amount of mass equal to 17.6 MeV of energy.

2. Relevant equations

E=mc2?

3. The attempt at a solution

17.6=m(931.5)
    m=0.01889u
    Not sure if this is correct

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did "931.5" come from? √(931.5) = 30.52, I don't recognize this as being c ...

4. Dec 21, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

931.5 MeV is the rest energy of 1 amu of mass. The 'attempt at a solution' wasn't very well explained. To say the least.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. Dec 21, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, so looks like E = mc2 is irrelevant & we have just a ratio of energies and finding out how many gm to 1 a.m.u.?

6. Dec 21, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The easy way to solve it is to use 1amu*c^2=931.5 MeV (because you've memorized it) and solve it using ratios. That's how the OP got the right answer if u=amu. But the OP butchered the units and I know the OP doesn't know whether it's right or wrong. That's not good. Just using E=mc^2 and paying some attention to units would be much better. It would show understanding. It's hardly irrelevant. I was just pointing out where the 931.5 came from.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook