Massive electromagnetic charge - hypothetical for author

In summary, the author is seeking information on the potential consequences of a massive electromagnetic charge occurring in a confined room. They have determined that at room temperature, a significant magnetic charge is needed to erase data on a disk, but this requirement decreases as temperature rises. They also question the impact of an extremely large electromagnetic field on a person's senses. The expert suggests that if everything in the room were given a massive charge, the room would implode or explode violently. They also point out that an electromagnetic field is just radiation and its effects depend on the type and intensity. The expert recommends consulting a high school physics textbook for more information.
Ivy78

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm an author trying to work out (hypothetically) what the consequences, to humans, computer equipment etc) would be if a massive electromagnetic charge were to occur in a confined room?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have established that at room temperature, it takes a relatively sizeable magnetic charge to erase the state of stored data on a disk so it can be changed. But as the temperature in the vicinity rises, the amount of charge required decreases. If you heat a metal up just enough, to the Curie temperature, it loses its magnetism altogether. So I assume at a high enough temp data /computer hard drives would be erased.

But I can't find any suggestion as to what would happen to a person in the presence of an extremely large electromagnetic field. What level of field would have a physiological impact on a person's senses?

Apologies for the minimal understanding of physics here, I realize I am among experts and therefore seek advice. I have high school physics knowledge but no further.
Many thanks, Hayley

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't homework, so it might be better in the "General Physics" section. The people there are better at answering this type of question.

That said, what's a "massive electromagnetic charge"? Charge is just a deficiency or excess in electrons. An everyday example is that rubbing two things together charges them because one of them donates electrons to the other. If everything in the room is somehow given a massive charge, which is pretty much impossible to do, the room would implode or explode with extreme violence because of electrostatic attraction/repulsion.

As for hard disks, yes, they would lose their magnetism and be erased if heated past their Curie temperatures.

As for electromagnetic fields, an electromagnetic field is just radiation: radio waves, UV, light, infrared, x-rays, or gamma rays. What effect radiation has depends on the type and intensity of radiation, but I don't think this is the answer you were looking for.

If you're serious about researching electromagnetism, I'd recommend a grade 11 high-school physics textbook. It's going to spend maybe one chapter talking about it, but that one chapter will be an extremely informative summing-up of classical electromagnetism.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, it is electromagnetic charge that is more what I am looking at. I have taken up your advice and ordered a year 11 physics textbook to bolster up my background knowledge, and then I may be back with more specific questions if that's okay. I will post them in he general physics area as you recommended. Many Thanks again for your expertise, it is much appreciated :-)

What is a massive electromagnetic charge?

A massive electromagnetic charge is a hypothetical concept that suggests the existence of an extremely large and concentrated amount of electromagnetic energy. It is theorized to have a mass and gravitational pull, similar to that of a black hole, but with a much stronger electromagnetic force.

How is a massive electromagnetic charge different from a black hole?

A massive electromagnetic charge is different from a black hole in that it is primarily composed of electromagnetic energy, whereas a black hole is primarily composed of mass. Additionally, the gravitational pull of a massive electromagnetic charge is expected to be much stronger than that of a black hole.

What would be the implications of a massive electromagnetic charge existing?

If a massive electromagnetic charge were to exist, it could potentially have a significant impact on our understanding of the laws of physics and the universe. It could also potentially have practical applications in fields such as energy production and propulsion technology.

Is there any evidence for the existence of a massive electromagnetic charge?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of a massive electromagnetic charge. It remains a theoretical concept that has yet to be proven through observation or experimentation.

What research is being done on massive electromagnetic charges?

There is ongoing research in the field of theoretical physics to explore the concept of massive electromagnetic charges and their potential implications. However, due to the hypothetical nature of this concept, there is limited research being conducted on it compared to other areas of physics.