1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behavior of Massive Electromagnetic Fields

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    Can someone provide a qualitative description of how electromagnetic fields behave differently when one uses the Proca equations rather than Maxwells equations? That is, if I start with a nice classical EM problem like a plane wave, a moving charge, or an antenna, and then I gradually increase the mass of the photon (perhaps to something very large), what should I expect to happen? This is more of a thought experiment, I'm not concerned with the physical reality of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2010 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only thing I know off hand is that the potential will no longer fall off as 1/r, that requires that the particle (photon) to be massless.

4. Jan 16, 2010 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

The speed of light will be frequency dependent.

5. Jan 17, 2010 #4

Saw

Gold Member

But what if you measured it (the speed of light) with light of the same kind as proposed in the thought experiment, i.e. you measured time lapses and lengths and you synchronized clocks with that very same light?

6. Jan 17, 2010 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook