Massless photons? Is everything light?

In summary: So photons can only move in a vacuum, which is not the case for anything else.Are photons massless?In summary, yes photons do have mass, but it is very small.
Bendelson
Are photons massless? They have energy and can be affected by gravity, so don't they have mass? I've heard plenty of people say that photons are massless, does this just mean that they have negligible mass?
Also, if only light/photons can move at the speed of light, then wouldn't everything be light considering that, relative to the photons, they aren't moving while everything else is moving at the speed of light? I'm not super knowledgeable about physics so I expect I have errors in a few of my assumptions so please correct me, I'm just curious and have been thinking about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bendelson said:
Are photons massless?
Within the precision of all measurements, and within theories: yes.
Bendelson said:
They have energy and can be affected by gravity, so don't they have mass?
Those are two independent things.
Bendelson said:
I've heard plenty of people say that photons are massless, does this just mean that they have negligible mass?
Experimental results are never exact, but in theory they are treated as exactly massless. And the experimental limits are really good. It would be odd to have a particle with a mass of just 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001 the mass of other particles.
Bendelson said:
Also, if only light/photons can move at the speed of light
And gluons, and gravity.
Bendelson said:
then wouldn't everything be light considering that, relative to the photons, they aren't moving while everything else is moving at the speed of light?
That does not make sense.

Bendelson said:
...wouldn't everything be light considering that, relative to the photons, they aren't moving...
Photons do not have a valid reference frame; time does not pass. It is nonsensical to ask what a photon (or anything moving at c) 'sees' or 'experiences'.

You'll find several relevant threads in the relativity FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/relativity-faq.210/

Last edited by a moderator:
Bendelson said:
Are photons massless?

Nothing stops you from adding a mass to the photon. In theory however as well as in experiments, the photons appear to be massless.

They have energy and can be affected by gravity, so don't they have mass?

Yes they have energy which corresponds to their momenta, not mass... Gravity doesn't couple only to masses but to the energy momentum tensor. For the photons the last is non-vanishing.

I've heard plenty of people say that photons are massless, does this just mean that they have negligible mass?

Up to very high precision photons appear to be very light and experiments also verify that they can be massless. Note: experiments will never tell that the photon has zero mass, but they can verify it within some precision...

Also, if only light/photons can move at the speed of light, then wouldn't everything be light considering that, relative to the photons, they aren't moving while everything else is moving at the speed of light? I'm not super knowledgeable about physics so I expect I have errors in a few of my assumptions so please correct me, I'm just curious and have been thinking about this.

There is no well-defined reference frame where the photon is at rest. That's exactly because they are considered massless...

1. What are massless photons?

Massless photons are particles of light that have no mass. They are considered fundamental particles and travel at the speed of light.

2. How can something have no mass?

In the theory of relativity, energy and mass are interchangeable. Photons have energy, which means they have a mass equivalent known as "rest mass." However, since photons are always in motion, they do not have a rest mass and are considered massless.

3. Do massless photons have any properties?

Yes, massless photons have several properties. They have an electric charge, a spin of 1, and a polarization that determines the direction of their electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can massless photons be affected by gravity?

Yes, even though photons have no mass, they can still be affected by gravity. Einstein's theory of general relativity states that gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time. Since photons travel through space, they can be affected by this curvature.

5. Is everything light?

No, not everything is light. While photons are everywhere and can interact with matter to create light, not all particles are made of photons. There are many other types of particles, such as protons and neutrons, that make up matter in the universe.