Master in Condensed Matter Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking a 2-year Master's degree in Condensed Matter Physics, preferably with a theoretical focus, beginning in Autumn 2012. They are interested in universities in Europe, specifically Germany and France, but are unsure of the most active institutions in this field. Suggestions include Ecole Polytechnique and Ecole Normale Superieure, which has a competitive program with a stipend for selected students. The individual is advised to contact alumni and current students for more information. They also mention a website with information on international programs in Germany. The individual clarifies that they are looking for a renowned university with a specific focus on Condensed Matter Physics Theory in Europe.
Liedragged
Hi, I'm looking for a Master Degree (2 years) in Condensed Matter Physics (Theory oriented if possible), starting in Autumn 2012.
I was thinking about Europe (e.g. Germany, France), but unfortunately I don't know the most active Universities in this field of research, for this reason I'm asking You, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anybody know something? Maybe I've been too specific...

http://www.mastersportal.eu/

Look into Ecole Polytechnique and Ecole Normale Superieure. The latter has a "selection internationale", where if one is selected, they are awarded a ~1300 euros stipend as well as the "eleve normalien" status. It's very competitive, mind. To gain further insight about the programs, you should try contacting alumni and current students.

Liedragged said:
Does anybody know something? Maybe I've been too specific...

On the contrary, you're post is too general.
Every major university is doing research into condensed matter physics in one form or another.

This might be of use:

http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/07535.en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll try to be more precise.

I'm looking for a Master in Physics, and I want to know what are the most renowned Universities in Condensed Matter Physics Theory, at a European level.

The problem is that a lot of graduate schools have programs in Condensed Matter, how do You choose between them?

@Magres I went on Ecole's site, but as long as my memories of french language are reliable, I only found a Master in Material Sciences, It is without doubt an attractive University but I was searching something more focused on Condensed Matter, I will evaluate it anyway, thanks.

1. What is Condensed Matter Physics?

Condensed Matter Physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties of materials in their solid and liquid states. It focuses on understanding the behavior and interactions of particles and atoms in large numbers, which leads to the emergence of macroscopic phenomena such as magnetism, superconductivity, and semiconductors.

2. What is the difference between Condensed Matter Physics and other branches of physics?

Condensed Matter Physics differs from other branches of physics in that it focuses on the behavior of matter in bulk, rather than on the atomic or subatomic scale. It also involves studying emergent phenomena, which are properties that arise from collective interactions between particles and cannot be explained by individual particle behavior.

3. What skills are needed to pursue a Master's in Condensed Matter Physics?

Some important skills for a Master's in Condensed Matter Physics include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Familiarity with computer programming and laboratory techniques may also be beneficial.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of a Master's in Condensed Matter Physics?

Graduates of a Master's in Condensed Matter Physics can pursue careers in various industries, including materials science, nanotechnology, electronics, and energy. They may also work in research and development, academia, or government agencies.

5. What research opportunities are available for students in a Master's in Condensed Matter Physics program?

Many universities and research institutions offer opportunities for students in a Master's in Condensed Matter Physics program to participate in cutting-edge research projects. These can range from theoretical studies to experimental work, and may focus on topics such as superconductors, topological materials, and quantum phenomena.