1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's degree in the U.S./U.K.?

  1. Jan 6, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone!
    I will be passing out of high school in three months' time and I will most probably be taking up a course with honours in physics. I will be doing my undergraduate studies in my home country (India). I want to know whether its worth going to the U.S./U.K. for a master's degree or should I just do my masters in India (there are some really good universities for this in India like the IITs, IISc, TIFR etc)? I also want to know if there are any courses which award dual degrees (MS and PhD) in any good universities in these countries. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2
    I can't speak for the U.K but I know of schools in the U.S that have a "pass through masters" which is where a masters is awarded while the student is still enrolled in the Ph.D program.
  4. Jan 6, 2015 #3


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    At most universities in the US, in physics, you enter a Ph.D. program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree. Along the way, you can pick up a master's degree after finishing a certain amount of coursework. That's how it happened with me about 35 years ago. Standalone master's programs are usually terminal degrees that are not intended to lead to a Ph.D., although some students probably do continue on to a Ph.D.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Master's degree in the U.S./U.K.?
  1. Master's degree (Replies: 5)

  2. Master's Degree? (Replies: 20)

  3. Masters degree? (Replies: 6)