1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters from not-so-reputable univ okay?

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I really want Masters degree in Applied Mathematics (i'm into ODE, PDE, etc). I will have to take loan to pay for it. Here are the three current options I have:

1) Depaul University
    very very costly - main is Stat - very very easy to get into
    http://csh.depaul.edu/academics/graduate/applied-mathematics-ms/Pages/degree-requirements.aspx [Broken]

2) IIT
    costly - seems decent - has couple of PDE classes
    http://www.iit.edu/csl/programs/professional_masters/master_applied_math.shtml

3) take Mathematics classes as a non-degree student, get good grades, and see if I can attend a better university

My goal is to teach and community college. They all seem to want at least Masters. As an undergrad, I did double major in Math and Physics.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2013 #2
    If you want to do a masters why don't you do it somewhere where it doesn't actually cost you? Many schools in many countries will pay a stipend that covers basic living costs and tuition for a masters(e.g. Canada)

4. Jul 30, 2013 #3
    I don't recommend taking a loan for a math degree unless your desire is to work on Wall Street. Engineering would be OK.

5. Jul 31, 2013 #4
    I can't go out of States. I seriously have horrible finance. I got offered small scholarship at IIT and even now I would have to take huge amount of loan...probably $ 30k above in a single year.

my third option is like 10k a year w/o financial aid (given i eventually get admitted).

i don't want to take loan either but it's not like an option tho.

edit: i know i'll do very well once admitted...and to be admitted i need to be able to afford tuition price.

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5
    But there are schools that will pay YOU to go there if you have the minimum requirements for their program?

7. Jul 31, 2013 #6
    look up the financial maths msc program of iit, I hear it's a good degree and will land you a job in chicago that should help solving your financial issues.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook