Should I do a 'dual' masters degree?

In summary, The program offered by my university allows you to do a 'half and half' masters degree in two different science disciplines. I am worried that this won't look great to future employers because I am not sure what I want to do with my career. I could go the route of doing a masters in physics and doing some classes in CS, but I am also interested in doing a masters in material science. I am worried that doing a masters in material science would limit my job options. However, I would like to focus more on my research at work and not on research for a thesis. Another factor to consider is that I work at a chemical/semiconductor company and there are opportunities for coding, such as making a program to
PCJJSBS
At my university they offer a program where you can pick two science disciplines and do a sort of 'half and half' masters degree. My B.S. is in Physics, and I somewhat want to do material science, which also directly relates to my current job and undergrad focus, but both mathematics and computer science have caught my eye. The degree is labeled as a 'Masters in Natural and Applied Sciences'. I am worried that this won't look great to future employers

If I don't end up doing this, I will likely go the CS route since they have a non thesis, class only option. I really want to focus more on my research at work, and not on research for a thesis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not take math/comp sci classes on the side while doing a masters in physics? My thought is that a dual masters degree would indicate an indecision towards what you want to do, which employers do not want to see (as far as I know). Therefore, you need to figure out what your actual career goal is, which you've yet to point out. I can't tell if you want to code, do physics, or do math, or some permutation of the three. It also sounds like you already have a research position at a company, so it would be useful if you gave some details on that as well.

Marisa5 said:
Why not take math/comp sci classes on the side while doing a masters in physics? My thought is that a dual masters degree would indicate an indecision towards what you want to do, which employers do not want to see (as far as I know). Therefore, you need to figure out what your actual career goal is, which you've yet to point out. I can't tell if you want to code, do physics, or do math, or some permutation of the three. It also sounds like you already have a research position at a company, so it would be useful if you gave some details on that as well.

I would love a job with a combination of all three! haha. I currently work at a chemical/semiconductor company in the printed electronics department. I do a lot of research on sensors involving nanoparticle and carbon nanotube inks. There are opportunities for coding, such as, making a program to communicate with custom test systems we come up with, but I really don't know as much coding as I should. I could probably do physics and convince them to let some of my electives be CS classes. But as I said, I am weary of getting into a thesis based program.

Another factor is that the job I hold is with the only science type company within about 400 miles of me, and I am severely limited geographically due to my wife's job... which she would like to keep. Coding jobs are much more abundant here though, but I wouldn't want to be limited to that, just in case.

The title of the degree will result in employers throwing your resume into the garbage. Don't do it.

For job hunting as a computer programmer, you would be better off with a CS degree. You can use your work experience when you hunt for other jobs. They will (or should) give that experience a lot of weight.

Qurks said:
The title of the degree will result in employers throwing your resume into the garbage. Don't do it.

That is what I worry. I figured that may be the case.

FactChecker said:
For job hunting as a computer programmer, you would be better off with a CS degree. You can use your work experience when you hunt for other jobs. They will (or should) give that experience a lot of weight.

I was thinking that. Future employers in the physics arena would probably wonder why I did CS instead of physics.
I could always swing it as I feel like I am learning more in my job than a masters in physics could provide, so I explored another, complementary interest.
But really, I don't plan on leaving my current position anytime soon.

I also don't ever plan on getting a PhD.

Qurks said:

And what evidence can you present that this is the case?

The title of the program is unusual. If the resume is screened by an automated system as many are especially in placement services and larger corps.it might well be passed over if it is screening for material science. I would put emphasis on material science and related courses and address you interest in CS as an incidental objective.

1. Should I do a 'dual' masters degree?

The decision to pursue a dual masters degree depends on your personal career goals and interests. It is important to carefully consider the time commitment and financial investment required for a dual degree program.

2. What are the benefits of a dual masters degree?

A dual masters degree can provide a broader range of knowledge and skills, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also save time and money compared to pursuing two separate masters degrees.

3. Can I specialize in two different fields with a dual masters degree?

Yes, most dual degree programs allow you to specialize in two different areas of study. This can provide a unique skill set and make you stand out to potential employers.

4. How do I know if a dual masters degree is right for me?

Consider your long-term career goals and whether a dual degree will help you achieve them. It is also important to research the specific program and speak with advisors or current students to determine if it aligns with your interests and abilities.

5. How will a dual masters degree impact my career opportunities?

A dual masters degree can open up a wider range of career opportunities and may make you more competitive for higher-paying positions. However, it ultimately depends on the job market and the demand for your specific skill set.