Masters in mechanical engineering after a bachelor in NE

In summary, a masters in mechanical engineering can give you more options in the nuclear field, but it is not always preferable.
madhisoka
Hi, is it logicial to get a masters in mechanical engineering after a bachelor of nuclear engineering ? is that going to give more options when it comes to applying for jobs ? expanding opportunities ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Purchasing a degree? How do you purchase a bachelor degree?

What I meant is after finishing bachelor " didn't mean letterally purchase " in my mother language purchase can be used as a metaphor such as approaching a degree, cheers.

Typically, you are identified by the nature of your last degree, and ME usually has more job options than NE. That said, unless you take a lot of undergraduate courses, you may find yourself not quite fully prepared. As an NE, I presume that you have had a lot of heat transfer, probably some fluids, and things like that. But, where do you stand on the machine design topics (statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, vibrations, theory of machines, machine design)? These seem to me like the place you may still be short, even it it is not fully evident to potential employers.

Also, what do you mean by "purchasing" an NE degree? This is a curious way to describe this.

Dr.D said:
Typically, you are identified by the nature of your last degree, and ME usually has more job options than NE. That said, unless you take a lot of undergraduate courses, you may find yourself not quite fully prepared. As an NE, I presume that you have had a lot of heat transfer, probably some fluids, and things like that. But, where do you stand on the machine design topics (statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, vibrations, theory of machines, machine design)? These seem to me like the place you may still be short, even it it is not fully evident to potential employers.

Also, what do you mean by "purchasing" an NE degree? This is a curious way to describe this.

thank you for the reply, I took thermodynamics fluid heat transfer thermal hydraulics, and NPPS.

so do u thing masters in ME can give me more options ? in nuclear field ?

purchasing is used as a metaphor in my mother language sorry I guess it's a mistake I just translated directly to English my bad.

madhisoka said:
What I meant is after finishing bachelor " didn't mean letterally purchase " in my mother language purchase can be used as a metaphor such as approaching a degree, cheers.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I myself am not an engineer, but my father had took far beyond what was needed for civil engineering discipline. After he had finished his civil engineering bachelors, for his masters he also did mining and product engineering ontop of his plate. I don't know the exact details, but it did not do anything for him. He never went into mining or product, and he has stayed in civil for the past 25 years. Whilst he is doing well right now, I doubt that it helped him along the way having more disciplines in his belt.

A ME degree will certainly give you more options, both in the nuclear area and elsewhere. A MS in NE would also give you more options. It is largely a matter of what you want to do. Do you want to remain in nuclear, or are you looking to broaden your horizons?

Dr.D said:
A ME degree will certainly give you more options, both in the nuclear area and elsewhere. A MS in NE would also give you more options. It is largely a matter of what you want to do. Do you want to remain in nuclear, or are you looking to broaden your horizons?
so masters in ME is more preferable ?, my aim is energy companies or reactors designing companis

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's degree in NE and a Master's degree in mechanical engineering?

A Bachelor's degree in NE (Nuclear Engineering) typically focuses on the principles and applications of nuclear energy, while a Master's degree in mechanical engineering focuses on the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. While both degrees involve math, science, and engineering skills, the areas of specialization and job opportunities may differ.

2. Can I pursue a Master's in mechanical engineering with a Bachelor's degree in a different engineering field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in mechanical engineering with a Bachelor's degree in a different engineering field. However, you may be required to take prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge and skills for the program.

3. How long does it take to complete a Master's degree in mechanical engineering after a Bachelor's in NE?

The duration of a Master's degree in mechanical engineering can vary depending on the program and the student's course load. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a Master's degree after a Bachelor's degree in NE.

4. What career options are available with a Master's in mechanical engineering after a Bachelor's in NE?

With a Master's in mechanical engineering, you can pursue various career paths such as design and development engineer, research and development engineer, project manager, mechanical systems analyst, or become a professor or researcher in the field of mechanical engineering.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualifications required for a Master's in mechanical engineering after a Bachelor's in NE?

To pursue a Master's in mechanical engineering after a Bachelor's in NE, you should have a strong background in math, physics, and engineering principles. Additionally, having programming and computer-aided design (CAD) skills can also be beneficial for this field.