Is getting a Master's degree in physics worth it?

In summary, the answer to your question depends on the individual and on the country they are studying in.
random123
Is getting a masters degree in physics worth it or is anything short of a PhD at the same level as a bachelors when it comes to job types and prospects?

Physics news on Phys.org
“Worth it” depends on your goals

Likes DeBangis21 and Vanadium 50
random123 said:
Is getting a masters degree in physics worth it or is anything short of a PhD at the same level as a bachelors when it comes to job types and prospects?
We've addressed this issue several times previously. The answer to your question depends heavily on which country you are studying in and on which country you plan to work in. So let's start with that information before we proceed.

CrysPhys said:
We've addressed this issue several times previously. The answer to your question depends heavily on which country you are studying in and on which country you plan to work in. So let's start with that information before we proceed.
I am in the United States and my college offers a program to have some credits count towards both undergrad and a masters degree the senior year which would make the masters take 1 additional year instead of 2 if accepted.

Likes random123 and berkeman
CrysPhys said:
I'll refer you to my Reply #4 in this previous thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...asters-degree-in-the-usa.931665/#post-5884807
Thank you for sending me the link to that post you made. It was very thorough and systematically went through it all. There were some things I wasn’t aware of as well, such as a Masters being given to people that fail out or are forced out of a phd program. That’s a pretty big deal in illegitimizing a MS in physics.

Likes symbolipoint
random123 said:
That’s a pretty big deal in illegitimizing a MS in physics.
What do you suggest be done instead? Remember, they met the requirements.

random123 said:
Thank you for sending me the link to that post you made. It was very thorough and systematically went through it all. There were some things I wasn’t aware of as well, such as a Masters being given to people that fail out or are forced out of a phd program. That’s a pretty big deal in illegitimizing a MS in physics.
That's not the only reason people get a master's in physics. Many people just realize along the way that getting a Ph.D. isn't what they want to do, but they'd like something to show for the time and effort they had put in.

In California, having a master's in physics makes you immediately eligible to teach physics at a community college.

• Informative
Likes robphy and berkeman
vela said:
That's not the only reason people get a master's in physics. Many people just realize along the way that getting a Ph.D. isn't what they want to do, but they'd like something to show for the time and effort they had put in.

In California, having a master's in physics makes you immediately eligible to teach physics at a community college.
I don't think anyone said it was the only reason, but one reason. And regardless of whether the candidate washed out (and left involuntarily) or just realized that a PhD wasn't what he wanted to do (and left voluntarily), the fact remains that he started a PhD program and didn't complete it (for whatever reason). This is a stigma that can taint an intentional terminal masters in physics (which is not an issue with, e.g., a masters in EE, ME, or CS).

Does the wash-out Masters' degreed people from the PhD programs have an equitable chance of getting back into a PhD program?

symbolipoint said:
Does the wash-out Masters' degreed people from the PhD programs have an equitable chance of getting back into a PhD program?
I suppose this really depends on the answer to the question:
"Your previous attempt at the PhD was unsuccessful. What's different now?"

While I don't think it's impossible, to be re-admitted and start over, the fact of the matter is that many other applicants in the pool won't have that baggage in their history.

Choppy said:
I suppose this really depends on the answer to the question:
"Your previous attempt at the PhD was unsuccessful. What's different now?"

While I don't think it's impossible, to be re-admitted and start over, the fact of the matter is that many other applicants in the pool won't have that baggage in their history.
Yours is a very logical response. One way to view this is that the fresher candidate has not yet had the opportunity to produce such baggage. Arguments or speculations about these can go on forever. The less fresh candidate will really need to be able to answer your question, "What is different now?" Better, how far along in the process did the former PhD-turned-Master's Degree person go in the process?

vela said:
Follow-up question. OK, a masters in physics is a sufficient educational credential for one to teach physics at a community college in CA. But how competitive is it? That is, do community colleges there have a preference for candidates with a PhD in physics, and is there a large pool of applicants (relative to the number of available slots) with a PhD in physics?

I don't know to be honest. I teach part time, and I've never been on the hiring end. I'll ask around. I suspect they generally don't care and are more interested in how well you teach.

Anecdotally, many of my colleagues with a physics background have Ph.D.'s, but I don't know if that's just because more people with a Ph.D. apply than those with a master's. In contrast, most of the astronomy instructors I know don't have doctorates.

I think the answers you've gotten have been very good. My personal experience is that it was worth it for me. It took me about 1.5 years and was paid for + I got a stipend. It opened a few doors - nothing amazing, but it synergized well with my other work experience.

I bet there are better things to do with your time. However, I think the list of worse things to do with your time is much longer. That's really how you make this decision, by comparing to the other things you might be doing.

Just for fun, let's take two examples.

Is your alternative to this to instead go $40k in debt getting a journalism, public health, or other low value degree where you can be worked to the bone for low salaries in crummy locations?

Or is your alternative instead to leverage the programming, analytics, or other in-demand skill you have but haven't mentioned and go work from Croatia, Portugal, Bali, and other digital nomad havens where you can earn while chilling on the beach?

Not saying either of those describes you, just saying whether it's worth it depends an awful lot on the opportunity cost.

Likes gwnorth

1. Is a Master's degree in physics necessary for a successful career in the field?

It depends on your career goals and the specific job you are aiming for. Some positions may require a Master's degree, while others may only require a Bachelor's degree. However, a Master's degree can provide you with more advanced knowledge and skills, making you a more competitive candidate for higher level positions.

2. What are the benefits of getting a Master's degree in physics?

A Master's degree in physics can provide you with deeper knowledge and understanding of the subject, as well as advanced research and problem-solving skills. It can also open up opportunities for higher paying jobs and leadership positions in the field.

3. How long does it take to complete a Master's degree in physics?

The duration of a Master's degree in physics can vary depending on the program and whether you are studying full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a Master's degree in physics.

4. What are the job prospects for someone with a Master's degree in physics?

With a Master's degree in physics, you can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as research, academia, government, and technology. Some common job titles for those with a Master's degree in physics include research scientist, data analyst, and physics teacher.

5. Is it worth the financial investment to get a Master's degree in physics?

The cost of a Master's degree in physics can vary greatly depending on the program and institution. It is important to carefully consider the potential return on investment in terms of career opportunities and potential salary increase. Additionally, there may be opportunities for scholarships, grants, or assistantships to help offset the cost of a Master's degree.