Master's in Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's post-graduate plans to pursue a Masters in engineering, specifically in mechanical engineering. The question is raised about the plausibility of this path with a degree in physics, to which it is stated that many programs do accept physics students, but they may have to take some undergraduate courses. The importance of a good GPA and the possibility of being admitted provisionally are also mentioned. The speaker's degree in Engineering Physics is confirmed, and they are encouraged to seek fellowships and assistantships for graduate school.
nasijen
Hello all,

I am going to finish my under-grad degree in EPhysics in about a little bit over a year so it's time to pick post-graduate plans. I decided to go to grad school for a Masters in engineering, particularly Mechanical.

I was wondering is this plausible? I know mechanical engineering is very physics based but do departments accept students holding a physics degree?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If your gpa is good, I think they will welcome you.

Mech E programs certainly accept physics students. You may have to take a few undergrad classes though in topics like fluid mechanics and structural mechanics. But that depends on your current background and area of research.

edgepflow said:
If your gpa is good, I think they will welcome you.

Is 3.5 "good"?

RandomGuy88 said:
Mech E programs certainly accept physics students. You may have to take a few undergrad classes though in topics like fluid mechanics and structural mechanics. But that depends on your current background and area of research.

Would I have to take these courses now or will they make me take them when I begin the program?

nasijen said:
Is 3.5 "good"?
Yes.

nasijen said:
Would I have to take these courses now or will they make me take them when I begin the program?
Many programs will admit you provisionally pending satisfactory completion of some undergrad courses.

Was you degree in Engineering Physics or Physics?

edgepflow said:
Many programs will admit you provisionally pending satisfactory completion of some undergrad courses.

Was you degree in Engineering Physics or Physics?

My degree will be in Engineering Physics from UIUC. I'll be graduating with an engineering degree

nasijen said:
My degree will be in Engineering Physics from UIUC. I'll be graduating with an engineering degree
I think you are in great shape for graduate school in mechanical engineering. Try for fellowships and assistantships.

1. What is a Master's in Mechanical Engineering?

A Master's in Mechanical Engineering is a graduate degree program that focuses on advanced studies and research in the field of mechanical engineering. It typically takes 2-3 years to complete and prepares students for careers in industry, research, or academia.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Master's in Mechanical Engineering?

Admission requirements for a Master's in Mechanical Engineering vary by university, but generally include a bachelor's degree in a related field, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and competitive GRE scores. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and/or relevant work experience.

3. What courses are typically included in a Master's in Mechanical Engineering program?

Courses in a Master's in Mechanical Engineering program may include advanced topics in mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and design. Students may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area, such as robotics, aerospace engineering, or renewable energy.

4. What are the career prospects for someone with a Master's in Mechanical Engineering?

Graduates with a Master's in Mechanical Engineering have a wide range of career options, including roles in research and development, product design, manufacturing, and project management. They may also pursue careers in academia or government agencies.

5. Can I pursue a Master's in Mechanical Engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Many universities offer Master's in Mechanical Engineering programs that are specifically designed for students with a non-engineering undergraduate degree. These programs may require students to complete prerequisite courses before starting the program, but they can still provide a pathway for individuals to pursue a career in mechanical engineering.