• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Master's in Mechanical Engineering

• Thread starter nasijen
  • Start date
Hello all,

I am going to finish my under-grad degree in EPhysics in about a little bit over a year so it's time to pick post-graduate plans. I decided to go to grad school for a Masters in engineering, particularly Mechanical.

I was wondering is this plausible? I know mechanical engineering is very physics based but do departments accept students holding a physics degree?

Thanks!

If your gpa is good, I think they will welcome you.

Mech E programs certainly accept physics students. You may have to take a few undergrad classes though in topics like fluid mechanics and structural mechanics. But that depends on your current background and area of research.

Mech E programs certainly accept physics students. You may have to take a few undergrad classes though in topics like fluid mechanics and structural mechanics. But that depends on your current background and area of research.
Would I have to take these courses now or will they make me take them when I begin the program?

Would I have to take these courses now or will they make me take them when I begin the program?
Many programs will admit you provisionally pending satisfactory completion of some undergrad courses.

Was you degree in Engineering Physics or Physics?

Many programs will admit you provisionally pending satisfactory completion of some undergrad courses.

Was you degree in Engineering Physics or Physics?
My degree will be in Engineering Physics from UIUC. I'll be graduating with an engineering degree

My degree will be in Engineering Physics from UIUC. I'll be graduating with an engineering degree
I think you are in great shape for graduate school in mechanical engineering. Try for fellowships and assistantships.