1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Masters related to astronomy and engineering?

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Abishek and I'm a mechanical engineer from India.
    Astrophysics is my passion and everything I think about.But due to my background I thought It would be better to do a MS in Astrophysics after doing my Engineering,cause If I fail I could rely on my engineering degree. I see that people require lot of technos in Astronomy field right now and I'm planning to do a MS in engineering that is very very closely related to Astronomy,so that I could follow my passion and survive easier.I actually have 2 diplomas in Spectroscopy and Astrophysics and some certificates related to astronomy.I know a little bit of Python.Im planning to go to US for my MS in 2018
    So finally I need some advice about which course I should take and the colleges which offer such courses.
    Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Oct 25, 2016 #3
    It would be nice if someone could explain why the observational or computational astronomy like Optical Instrumentation is much suitable for me than pure science reffering to my current background.Also on the what Major should I take to pursue my passion on Astrophysics without leaving the engineering side(Majors in USA).

5. Oct 25, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Replace "Optical Instrumentation" with "pizza", "baseball" or "the cute redhead next door". and you'll see why we struggle. We can't tell what you will like.

6. Oct 25, 2016 #5
    The question was not about what I like(Which was Astrophysics ,which I mentioned earlier),It was about what Major I should pursue for a successful career.I didn't expect someone to map out the next 6 yrs of my education.I just needed some directions so that I could make decisions efficiently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted