Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Works of Riemann related to Astronomy that I can understand?

1. May 13, 2009 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

Looking for a connection to astronomy for a history of mathematics report on 19th century mathematicians. I don't do astronomy. Would like to know of any mathematical developments of Riemann that are used in astronomy that I can understand (which expressly excludes any thing with the word tensor in it.) Don't work to hard on it (I have google too,) just thought you guys would know.

TIA,

Benorin

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2

madmike159

Gold Member

Bernhard Riemann developed Riemannian geometry. This is used through out general relativity. Newton’s laws didn't work at very large (astronomical distances), that is why we use GR. Einstein wouldn't of been able to develop his theories in Euclidean geometry.

4. May 13, 2009 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Is there any connection between Riemann geometry and special relativity, that subject is within my mental grasp. Perhaps the Lorentz contraction?

5. May 13, 2009 #4

madmike159

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook