Masters to teach at community college?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I would like to teach math at a community college somewhere in the US, would getting a masters in pure mathematics be sufficient to get such a job? When I say job, I mean a full-time (year-round with or without summers) position. When I say sufficient, I mean would it be easy (or maybe I should say not difficult) to find such a job. Are there things that I should do in order to better my chances of getting such a job?

Ideas? Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From my experience, a masters is a requirement to teach at a community college.

A master's degree is a requirement, but I THINK many community colleges want you to have a PhD nowadays... so with regards to EASE of getting a job, I'm not so sure.

At the community colleges in my area a masters normally is the requirement to be the professor; however, my friends at the community college have stated that a couple of the professors only have bachelors degrees with a lot of work experance (but these guys are taking computer science courses).

As for the PhD requirement...yeah I haven't heard of that, in my area at least.

If you want to lecture, lecture. I took calculus courses from two lecturers while at cc: one had just his masters and one had her masters but also an engineering degree