1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters to teach at community college?

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    I would like to teach math at a community college somewhere in the US, would getting a masters in pure mathematics be sufficient to get such a job? When I say job, I mean a full-time (year-round with or without summers) position. When I say sufficient, I mean would it be easy (or maybe I should say not difficult) to find such a job. Are there things that I should do in order to better my chances of getting such a job?

Ideas? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From my experience, a masters is a requirement to teach at a community college.
  4. Dec 6, 2006 #3
    A master's degree is a requirement, but I THINK many community colleges want you to have a PhD nowadays... so with regards to EASE of getting a job, I'm not so sure.
  5. Dec 6, 2006 #4
    At the community colleges in my area a masters normally is the requirement to be the professor; however, my friends at the community college have stated that a couple of the professors only have bachelors degrees with a lot of work experance (but these guys are taking computer science courses).

As for the PhD requirement...yeah I haven't heard of that, in my area at least.
  6. Dec 6, 2006 #5
    If you want to lecture, lecture. I took calculus courses from two lecturers while at cc: one had just his masters and one had her masters but also an engineering degree
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?