Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material Studio (geometry optimization)

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    Hi. I am using Material Studio (MS) version 4.3 (yeah I know it's old but that's all I've got) and I have been trying to calculate this energy of a specific compound (N,N-dimethylformamide). I've learned that there are 3 ways on how to calculate energy using MS; Forcite, Dmol3 and Minimizer functions.

However, using Forcite and Minimizer gives me a positive total energy for the compound, which is kind of weird because a positive energy means that that the compound is unstable, am I right? So I tried using Dmol3, it gives me negative energy (yeay!), and afterwards I tried minimizing this same compound using Minimizer, then bamm, it becomes positive again.

My question is, why would this happen? Which function is actually better for calculating energies / geometry optimization? Or is there any chemistry-related explanations about all this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2
    FYI, I got the structure of the compound directly from Cambridge Crystallographic Database.

4. Apr 22, 2015 #3
    I think you should be in the Chemistry forum. Material Studio is a powerful molecular modeling software, and pretty specialized. You may have a hard time getting much help even on this forum. Contact your Biovia (formerly Accelrys) office for technical assistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook