Math Masters Program. Lots of questions. What to do?

In summary: Thanks for the "advice".. I think..:biggrin:It seems to me you are a lucky man. It is better to be apointed to a function to high then forever being degraded to somebody you are not.If it is Set theory don't forget Reichenbach: who defined the diffence of inductive sets (adding one element to another: need of things putting in a rucksack for a vacation) to deductive sets (by their appearance: all red chairs for instance). If it is analysis work to the edge definition soltution of Lagrange? Don't ask the students to much of
Hammie
I have been accepted into a graduate program at local university, along with being offered a teaching assistantship. Now comes the choice of what courses to choose.

The master's program requires thirty credits of course work, along which includes introduction to real analysis, intro to complex analysis, both of which I completed in undergraduate study (in a different university). But if I apply these to my master's degree, I still have to fulfill thirty credits of course work. Different classes of course. The university I got undergrad degree from, did not offer an advanced calculus course. So I am obligated to take advanced calculus I at the new place. But it does not yield master's credits. That's ok.. I'll bite the bullet so to speak..

but what about the other classes? Would I be better off repeating complex and real analysis at the master's level.. and really MASTER the material.. or would I be better off, taking the exemption, and going after new material?

More questions forthcoming, but these are good for now..

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me you are a lucky man. It is better to be apointed to a function to high then forever being degraded to somebody you are not.
If it is Set theory don't forget Reichenbach: who defined the diffence of inductive sets (adding one element to another: need of things putting in a rucksack for a vacation) to deductive sets (by their appearance: all red chairs for instance). If it is analysis work to the edge definition soltution of Lagrange? Don't ask the students to much of recopying the proofs with the delta and epsilons, but try to let them USE the theorems as a shortcut to their own goals.
There are proofs of mathematical isues and disproofs. Galois (algebra) proving that all contructions are quadratical - and that trisecting an angle needs a third degree equation is an example of a disproof with very large impact I may say. I have given now answers, but I also could give questions or yet paradoxes...
It is getting late,
greetings Janm

JANm said:
It seems to me you are a lucky man. It is better to be apointed to a function to high then forever being degraded to somebody you are not.
If it is Set theory don't forget Reichenbach: who defined the diffence of inductive sets (adding one element to another: need of things putting in a rucksack for a vacation) to deductive sets (by their appearance: all red chairs for instance). If it is analysis work to the edge definition soltution of Lagrange? Don't ask the students to much of recopying the proofs with the delta and epsilons, but try to let them USE the theorems as a shortcut to their own goals.
There are proofs of mathematical isues and disproofs. Galois (algebra) proving that all contructions are quadratical - and that trisecting an angle needs a third degree equation is an example of a disproof with very large impact I may say. I have given now answers, but I also could give questions or yet paradoxes...
It is getting late,
greetings Janm

little drunk janm, no?

Thanks for the "advice".. I think..

:biggrin:

now for the important item, or items..

living on a stipend. "It's (almost) a living.."

so what kind of scams am I to expect from fellow program participants? Will I find them pitching pennies on the local corner or something like that?

:biggrin: :biggrin:

As for myself, I've considered trying to sell Sierpinski Carpets, cheap..

Real low overhead..

JCVD said:
little drunk janm, no?
Could You please be more specific, or are you a psychologist? If you are then my question is: are you looking to the right sight? I answered a question with three possibilities: Mathematical directions which each have their highlights. If you haven't any questions on these three items, please remain quiet and don't try to find out what my personal condition was when I introduced them.
greetings Janm

As far as teaching is concerned.. I have no problem helping those with algebra concepts as "rise over run" and such.. it was as hard for me then, as complex analaysis was last semester.

I don't think I'll be dealing with epsilon-delta concepts with students, for at least a couple of years.. unless the powers that be think otherwise..

as far a "lucky" is concerned.. gawd almighty.. with the economy the way it is, an an older normally non-employable individual being offered this kind of opportunity..

well, what can I say..

I just hope I can "deliver"..

I think I can..

Hammie said:
As far as teaching is concerned.. I have no problem helping those with algebra concepts as "rise over run" and such.. it was as hard for me then, as complex analaysis was last semester.
Hello Hammie
Could you explain to me what: "rise over run" means? With complex analysis in the algebra you mean calculating with i=sqrt(-1), solving quadratic definite polynomes?
greetings Janm

"rise over run"

Common verbage used to denote slope of a linear function...

Hope that helps...

I'm really in the same situation you are though... except the only difference is that I need to take quals regardless of the masters program or doctoral program. My understanding, and some of the advice that I've taken from my professors at my former institution is that taking classes again doesn't hurt because a) you'll be at the top of your class and will get good review information out of it for the most part, and b) different colleges teach the same courses differently.

I took Real Analysis last year, and one of the courses in the program I recently was accepted to teaches more material than the course I took in undergrad, so I'm hoping to take it because I want to get as much out of it as possible!

CoachZ said:
"rise over run"
Common verbage used to denote slope of a linear function...

b) different colleges teach the same courses differently.

I took Real Analysis last year, and one of the courses in the program I recently was accepted to teaches more material than the course I took in undergrad, so I'm hoping to take it because I want to get as much out of it as possible!
Hello CoachZ
ROR? where is the expression for depression? Steep over sleep? Down over hill? Turn where you burn? Nice to learn about sayings in other languages but still hard to understand.
Hope for you that different colleges teach differently. Some coarses (but they are not mathematical) teach always the same...
On the third item: if you have to give coarses and to attend them. Make notes (ask for paper and pencil)! And the only homework you do is rewriting them neatly in ascending order to the former college. That is what made me special during my doctoral studies. After six weeks you seem to be the secretarian to colleague students, but also the professor. People think that memory is somethink profound, but is is not. Written material is profound. Its discussable etc...

Just some remarks CoachZ
greetings Janm

1. What is the Math Masters Program?

The Math Masters Program is a specialized program designed for students who have a strong interest and aptitude in mathematics. It offers advanced coursework, enrichment opportunities, and mentorship to help students excel in the subject.

2. Who is eligible to participate in the Math Masters Program?

The program is typically open to students who have completed a certain level of math coursework (such as Algebra II or higher) and have demonstrated a strong interest and ability in mathematics. Each program may have its own specific eligibility requirements, so it is best to check with the program directly.

3. How do I apply to the Math Masters Program?

The application process may vary depending on the program, but typically it involves submitting an application form, academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and possibly an essay or personal statement. Some programs may also require an entrance exam or interview.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Math Masters Program?

Participating in the Math Masters Program can provide numerous benefits, including the opportunity to challenge yourself academically, build a strong foundation in math, receive mentorship and guidance from experts in the field, and potentially gain an advantage in college admissions and future career opportunities.

5. Are there any costs associated with the Math Masters Program?

Some programs may have a fee for participation, while others may offer scholarships or financial aid. It is important to research and understand the costs associated with the program before applying.