1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Math past Associate's degree courses?

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    So I've finished all the basic math courses you usually hear about in college (E.g. Single & Multivariate Calculus, Linear Algebra, Diff. Eq.). My majors are in Mathematics, and Physics. I'm doing undergraduate research with a professor at my school in Quantum Field Theory. Since I have finished these courses, I'm not too sure what else to do to prepare for further adventure into Quantum Field Theory. I've also taken extra credit courses in which I did things like probability theory already. I don't know much about the math courses beyond these well-known courses. The courses I can take are as follows:

Intro to Analytics
    Intro to Probability Theory
    Intro to Math Stat
    Stochastic Modeling
    Theoretical Mechanics
    Complex Analysis
    Foundations of Geometry
    Basic Abstract Algebra
    Linear Algebra (not sure if this is extended linear algebra, as I already took it?)
    Algebraic Geometry
    Matrix Algebra
    Numerical Computations
    Intro to Numerical Analysis
    Factorization and Primality Testing
    Linear Programs
    Graph Theory
    Math Theory of Games

I apologize for listing so many courses, but I'm just not sure what any of these are, or if they will help me with Quantum Field Theory. Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 26, 2016 #3
    Complex Analysis and Intro to Numerical Analysis.

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4
    Thank you for the bump! I just got an email back from a physics professor, who recommended I take Complex Analysis, or more advanced diff. eq/advanced calculus!

Thanks, I think I'm going to end up going with Complex Analysis most likely. Really appreciate it.

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I "third" Complex Analysis. When I was in grad school (physics), it was the one extra math course I wish I had been able to take as an undergrad. I actually double-majored in physics and math, but didn't take complex variables / complex analysis, because my small college either didn't offer it at all, or didn't happen to offer it while I was able to take it. (This was more than 40 years ago.)

I did take complex variables as a grad student, as one of my two non-physics "cognate courses."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted