Which math courses are the most useful for grad. school?

In summary, the speaker is a second year mathematics and physics major who plans on pursuing graduate school in theoretical physics. They have already taken or will take standard core mathematics courses, but have some choice in upper year courses. They are seeking advice on which topics would be the best preparation for graduate school. The options include abstract algebra, differential geometry, number theory, further studies in real and complex analysis, Green's functions and the calculus of variations, and probability. The speaker is interested in focusing on abstract algebra, but scheduling conflicts and prerequisites may prevent them from taking any differential geometry or analysis courses. However, they will still be taking an introductory General Relativity course. The person they are talking to suggests that probability would be the most useful course,
istari314
I am presently finishing my second year as a combined mathematics and physics major, and I am planning on pursuing graduate school in theoretical physics, as many here no doubt are.

I have already, or will have already taken the standard core mathematics courses: i.e. calculus, linear algebra, ordinary and partial differential equations, complex analysis, and real analysis. However, I have some choice when it comes to which upper year math courses I can take, and so I was wondering what particular topics would be the best preparation for graduate school.

Specifically, I can make the choice between abstract algebra (rings, fields, Galois theory etc.), differential geometry, number theory, further studies in real and complex analysis (I'm not quite sure what this would entail; possibly lots of measure theory), Green's functions and the calculus of variations, and probability.

The choices aren't mutually exclusive, in general; however, if I I choose to focus on abstract algebra, due to unfortunate scheduling conflicts, and prerequisites, I will be unable to take any of the differential geometry or analysis courses. Although, I will be taking an introductory General Relativity course regardless, so I suspect that even if I don't take the differential geometry courses I would get at least a brief introduction to the subject, even if an unsatisfactory one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical physics is a meaningless term. Can you perhaps narrow it down a bit? QFT? GR?

Of the courses you listed, probability will be the most useful. This is especially true if you have already had a course in complex variables and linear algebra, and ordinary and partial differential equations. You can probably get the other higher level math courses in graduate school anyway, when (if) you need them. Quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics relies on probability. You can see a lot of probability in astrophysics as well. A great article is Selected Problems in Physics and Astronomy by S. Chandrasekhar.

1. What level of math courses should I take for grad school?

The most useful math courses for grad school are typically at the advanced undergraduate or graduate level. These may include courses in linear algebra, calculus, real analysis, complex analysis, and abstract algebra.

2. Are there specific math courses that are required for all grad school programs?

It depends on the specific program you are applying to. Some programs may have specific math course requirements, while others may have a more general math requirement. It is important to research the specific program to determine which math courses are required.

3. Do I need to have taken all of the recommended math courses before applying to grad school?

No, it is not necessary to have taken all of the recommended math courses before applying to grad school. However, having a strong foundation in math will be beneficial for your studies in grad school.

4. Can I take math courses outside of my major for grad school?

Yes, you can take math courses outside of your major for grad school. In fact, it is often encouraged to have a diverse background in math to better prepare you for your studies.

5. Will I need to take a math placement exam for grad school?

It depends on the specific program you are applying to. Some programs may require a math placement exam, while others may not. It is important to research the specific program to determine their requirements for math placement exams.