EE grad studies with low GPA, non-degree courses?

In summary, Jedishrfu has been working full time for a company for a while, has tried to overcome a low GPA with self study and volunteer work, is thinking of enrolling in non-degree courses at a better school, and advises retaining and improving math skills.
Ngineer
Hello everyone,

Last year, I graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree from a Canadian university with a horrible GPA of 2.62 (reasons why I got this gpa explained here)

I have never forgotten about the dream of finally getting into graduate studies, mainly in the field of electromagnetics, and here are the things I've done so far to overcome the GPA barrier:
  • Currently work full time for a company that produces radar-related software, not a lot of engineering though. Due to previous own projects and research, I have been hired at an intermediate level, whereas three fellow EE alumni (two of which graduated with distinction) have been hired as juniors.
  • Volunteered after hours at a lab with a professor (albeit not exactly in the field I am interested in.) and published a paper with him / his students.
  • (Serious) self study on average for 3-4h/day in the field, using textbooks and online grad course material. Concurrently attempting to solidify my understanding by writing software simulation tools. My intention is to turn it into something big and include it in applications.
I know this is not enough. I have been thinking of taking non-degree courses at a better school to show that my horrible grades were due to exceptional circumstances (again, reasons are here).

Would these make any difference? Are there other ways to overcome a low GPA?

Your advice is immeasurably appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Excell in the GRE would be one way. Take some prep courses and get a great grade. It will give you some leverage to get into the graduate program.

Take some grad level courses at a school that you can get into.

Find a back door to the school, i.e. Find a prof who can help you identify and your weaknesses so that you can take some courses to fix them. This is very hard to do. Sometimes you can read papers in the field you're interested in and then contact the authors. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Your company may have an educational benefit for going back to school part time and you could take advantage of it by taking grad level course and doing well so that they will offset you undergrad GPA. Ask around to see if others have done this. Is there anyone there who might mentor you?

Hi jedishrfu,

Thanks for your response and the valuable advice, highly appreciated! Unfortunately, I don't think my company offers such benefits, so I have to try on my own.

So its do really well on the GRE or take some grad level courses at your own expense and then prep for and do well on the GRE.

The key is to retain and improve your math skills over everything else.

1. Can I still get accepted into an EE grad program with a low GPA?

Yes, it is possible to get accepted into an EE grad program with a low GPA. Some programs may have a minimum GPA requirement, but many also take into consideration other factors such as research experience, recommendation letters, and personal statements.

2. Will taking non-degree courses help my chances of getting accepted into an EE grad program?

Yes, taking non-degree courses can potentially help your chances of getting accepted into an EE grad program. These courses can demonstrate your dedication and ability to handle graduate-level coursework, and may also help improve your GPA.

3. How can I explain my low GPA in my grad school application?

It's important to be honest and transparent in explaining your low GPA. You can mention any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your academic performance, and highlight any improvements in your grades over time. You can also use your personal statement to explain your passion for the field and your determination to succeed in grad school.

4. Will my non-degree courses count towards my EE grad degree?

It depends on the program and the specific courses you have taken. Some programs may allow you to transfer credits from non-degree courses towards your degree, while others may not. It's best to check with the program directly to see if your non-degree courses will count towards your degree.

5. Are there any alternative paths to an EE grad degree if my GPA is low?

Yes, there are some alternative paths to an EE grad degree if your GPA is low. Some programs may offer conditional acceptance, where you can take additional courses or complete a research project to prove your readiness for grad school. You can also look into certificate programs or master's programs with lower GPA requirements, and work towards building a strong academic record before applying for a higher-level degree.