1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Physics Tricky Integrals go Over my Head

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    so i have this question about a ladder and the area under it and when it all comes down to it I get the integral, ∫ u2 ( 1 – u2 ) 3/2 du, from u = 0 to u = 1.

I am not sure whether to use trig substitution. I keep ending up in the same boat when I do. . . And the same thing when I do integration by parts. I'm not too quick with integration obviously. any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    is u2 u*2?

I'm almost gonna have to guess it's u*(1-u)^(-3/2) that's giving you trouble(or 2*u or whatever)

in which case I think integration by parts will do it

What's the actual problem though?

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

I assume you mean [tex]\int_0^1 u^2(1-u^2)^{3/2} du[/tex].
    Let [tex]u=\sin\theta[/tex] and brush up on your trig.
    Use the formulae for sin and cos of theta/2.

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    oh ok, that makes more sense with what he typed >_>

You'll need those trig identities, but you can find huge tables of such identities in moments courtesy of the internet

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    I tried substituting u = sin(theta) and all I got was sin^2(theta) cos^4(theta) dtheta... and that just doesn't mean anything to me...

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \int \sin^2 \theta {} \cos^4 \theta {} {} d\theta = \frac{1}{4}\int \sin^2 2\theta \ \frac{1+\cos 2\theta}{2} {} d\theta [/tex]

Can you carry on from here ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?