• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Math prereq for Theoretical & Solid-State Physics

• Thread starter neuralnode
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all,

I'm interested in theoretical & solid-state physics, but not planning to start an academic path (because of my age, job, other plans etc.). Nonetheless, I'd like to get as much university-grade knowledge as possible. I'd appreciate some suggestions as to the math branches/topics I'll need to study, and examples of the best (in your opinion) textbooks on those subjects. I have a basic understanding of calculus and have read mainly pop-sci books on physics, so my list of required reading would really need to start from fundamentals. Still, I'm quite fast at grasping concepts and math, as long as they're served in the right way (i.e. without omissions or frequent references to "assumed" knowledge). Again, I'm asking primarily about math, which I'm the most behind with.

(BTW: Is the math required in theoretical physics sufficient to study solid-state concepts?)

Thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Hi all,

I'm interested in theoretical & solid-state physics, but not planning to start an academic path (because of my age, job, other plans etc.). Nonetheless, I'd like to get as much university-grade knowledge as possible. I'd appreciate some suggestions as to the math branches/topics I'll need to study, and examples of the best (in your opinion) textbooks on those subjects. I have a basic understanding of calculus and have read mainly pop-sci books on physics, so my list of required reading would really need to start from fundamentals. Still, I'm quite fast at grasping concepts and math, as long as they're served in the right way (i.e. without omissions or frequent references to "assumed" knowledge). Again, I'm asking primarily about math, which I'm the most behind with.

(BTW: Is the math required in theoretical physics sufficient to study solid-state concepts?)

Thanks in advance.
Any area of study in physics requires:

Calc I, II, and III
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra

Also recommended:

partial differential equations
complex analysis
numerical analysis