Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math software that allows for working in different counting schemes?

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    for example...is there some software that will let me do all my calculations mod 2 or something? free software would be preferable

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of 'calculations' do you mean? All programming languages do mod arithmetic. Mod 2 arithmetic is very easy - there are only 2 elements in the field. Why would you need any help with that? You can also do any calculations as integers, and then reduce mod 2.

If you really want free software, then GAP and PARI (I think that's free) will do interesting things over finite fields.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3
    well, my problem is,when calculating eigenvalues of a mod 2 (only 1 and 0) matrix, i'm getting decimals. I'm not sure how to convert decimals to mod 2.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you're doing something wrong, like using the wrong methods in the wrong place. There is no meaningful sense in which decimals are related to mod 2 results. And as i've explained elsewhere, the only roots mod 2 are 0 and 1 so this is a trivial check.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?