1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica/Graphing Question for Muon Lifetime Laboratory

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    Hi all, I'm trying to construct a histogram from my data to illustrate evidence of muon lifetime. Attached is a .txt file that contains counts from our detector that correspond to different bin sizes (lengths of time muons were counted in detector) from our experiment. The file is 1x500 (containing a verticle list of 500 events)

Each bin size is 20 ns. For example, the first entry corresponds to 0-20ns bin, the second 20-40ns, the third 40-60ns and so on.

Given this information, how would I do the following in mathematica?
    1. constuct a scaled histogram of the events
    2. Best fit an equation for exponential decay of the form y=A*EXP[-Bx] +C
    3. create a log plot of the data giving a linear line and slope (giving muon lifetime).

I'm at a loss how to code for this, I know the reasoning behind everything but this seems like the easiest way to go about it(mathematica) and I am not well versed. Anyone have any insight??

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2
    Bump.

Anyone with knowledge of mathmematica that can help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook