Mathematica problem, nontrivial solution for matrix equation Ax=0

In summary, finding a non-trivial solution to the matrix equation Ax=0 involves finding eigenvalues of the matrix A. This is done by solving the polynomial equation det(A-\lambda I)=0, which will have n solutions. If \lambda is a true eigenvalue, then Ax=\lambda x will have a non-trivial solution. However, if you keep getting x=0 as a solution, it is likely that the value you are assuming to be an eigenvalue is not actually one. Posting a specific example would allow others to point out any errors in your calculations.
Uncle_John
Hey, how can i get a non trivial solution from matrix equation Ax=0

more precisely, i want to calculate eigenvectors : (M- a_1*I)x = 0, i keep getting x=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation Ax= 0 has a non-trivial solution if and only if A is not one-to-one. That is the same as saying that its determant is 0 and that it has 0 as an eigenvalue. The standard way to find an eigenvalue, [itex]\lambda[/itex] for matrix A is to solve the equation [itex]det(A- \lambda I)= 0[/itex]. If A is an n by n matrix, that will be a polynomial equation of degree n and so has n solutions (not necessarily all distinct, not necessarily real).

IF [itex]\lambda[/itex] really is an eigenvalue, then [itex]Ax= \lambda x[/itex] or [itex]
Ax- \lambda x= (A- \lambda I)x= 0[/itex] has, by definition of "eigenvalue", a non-trivial solution. That is, some of the equations you get by looking at individual components will be dependent. Note that x= 0 always will be a solution, just not the only one.

Perhaps if you posted a specific example, we could point out errors. The most obvious one, if you "keep getting x=0", is that what you think is an eigenvalue really isn't!

1. What is a nontrivial solution in a matrix equation?

A nontrivial solution in a matrix equation is a solution that is not equal to the zero vector. In other words, it is a solution where at least one variable has a non-zero value.

2. How do I find a nontrivial solution in Mathematica?

In Mathematica, you can use the function NullSpace to find the null space of a matrix, which contains all the nontrivial solutions of a matrix equation Ax=0. You can then use the Solve function to find specific values for the variables in the solution.

3. Can a matrix equation Ax=0 have more than one nontrivial solution?

Yes, a matrix equation can have an infinite number of nontrivial solutions. This occurs when the matrix has more columns than rows, resulting in an underdetermined system of equations.

4. Is there a way to check if a nontrivial solution is valid?

Yes, you can verify a nontrivial solution by substituting the values of the variables into the original matrix equation. If the resulting vector is equal to 0, then the solution is valid.

5. Are there any other methods to find nontrivial solutions in Mathematica?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the Eigensystem function or using the LinearSolve function. However, the NullSpace function is specifically designed for finding nontrivial solutions in matrix equations and is the most efficient method.