Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica problem, nontrivial solution for matrix equation Ax=0

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    Hey, how can i get a non trivial solution from matrix equation Ax=0

more precisely, i want to calculate eigenvectors : (M- a_1*I)x = 0, i keep getting x=0.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The equation Ax= 0 has a non-trivial solution if and only if A is not one-to-one. That is the same as saying that its determant is 0 and that it has 0 as an eigenvalue. The standard way to find an eigenvalue, [itex]\lambda[/itex] for matrix A is to solve the equation [itex]det(A- \lambda I)= 0[/itex]. If A is an n by n matrix, that will be a polynomial equation of degree n and so has n solutions (not necessarily all distinct, not necessarily real).

IF [itex]\lambda[/itex] really is an eigenvalue, then [itex]Ax= \lambda x[/itex] or [itex]
    Ax- \lambda x= (A- \lambda I)x= 0[/itex] has, by definition of "eigenvalue", a non-trivial solution. That is, some of the equations you get by looking at individual components will be dependent. Note that x= 0 always will be a solution, just not the only one.

Perhaps if you posted a specific example, we could point out errors. The most obvious one, if you "keep getting x=0", is that what you think is an eigenvalue really isn't!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook