Mathematica to recognize e−iθ as the eulers identity

In summary, Mathematica has a built-in function for calculating the exponential function which recognizes e^-iθ as cos(θ) - i*sin(θ), known as the Euler's identity. Other syntax such as Power[E, -I*θ] can also be used to represent this identity. The Euler's identity can be used in calculations by replacing e^-iθ with Exp[-I*θ] or Power[E, -I*θ]. Mathematica also has other built-in functions and identities related to the Euler's identity, such as TrigReduce and TrigExpand. To plot the Euler's identity, the Plot function can be used with the expression Exp[-I*θ] or Power[E, -I*θ],
arierreF
I just need to know how can Mathematica recognize [itex]e^{-i\theta}[/itex] as the eulers identity. This is, [itex]e^{-i\theta} = cos \theta + sin \theta [/itex].

When i plot a function like [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex], nothings appear in the graph.

Help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use something fancy like this:
Code:
Plot[Im@Exp[-I x], {x, -5, 5}, PlotStyle -> Thick, 
 ColorFunction -> "StarryNightColors"]
Nh4ihZW.png

Thanks it works!

1. How can Mathematica recognize e^-iθ as the Euler's identity?

Mathematica has a built-in function called Exp that can be used to calculate the exponential function. By inputting Exp[-I*θ], Mathematica will recognize it as e^-iθ and simplify it to cos(θ) - i*sin(θ). This is the Euler's identity.

2. Can I use any other syntax to represent e^-iθ in Mathematica?

Yes, you can also use the notation Power[E, -I*θ] to represent e^-iθ in Mathematica. This will also be recognized as the Euler's identity and simplified accordingly.

3. How can I use the Euler's identity in my calculations in Mathematica?

You can use the Euler's identity in your calculations by replacing e^-iθ with Exp[-I*θ] or Power[E, -I*θ]. This will allow you to simplify complex expressions and perform various mathematical operations.

4. Can Mathematica recognize other identities related to the Euler's identity?

Yes, Mathematica has a wide range of built-in functions and identities related to the Euler's identity. These include the TrigReduce function which simplifies trigonometric expressions, and the TrigExpand function which expands trigonometric expressions into their component terms.

5. How can I plot the Euler's identity in Mathematica?

You can plot the Euler's identity in Mathematica by using the Plot function and specifying the expression Exp[-I*θ] or Power[E, -I*θ] as the function to be plotted. This will graph the real and imaginary parts of the Euler's identity as a function of θ, creating a circle on the complex plane.