Mathematical/Computational Biology - grad school

• Schools
  • Thread starter ptolema
  • Start date
I'm getting ready to apply to grad schools, and I'm having a hard time choosing schools to apply to. I'm an applied math major, and I'm really interested in mathematical/computational biology. I don't necessarily want to study math in grad school, but I'm open to math programs with a more interdisciplinary approach. So far, I have this tentative list:

UCSF - Integrative Program in Quantitative Biology
UCSD - Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
Duke University - Math
Duke University - Computational Biology & Bioinformatics

Can anyone offer advice/suggestions to help me decide which to apply to?

Answers and Replies

Hey there. Computational/statistical bio is a very neat program. I met some UCLA faculty in that program about a year ago before I applied to grad school just to learn what's it's like - a family friend is a professor there. I ended up going for physics elsewhere, but I learned a lot from visiting.

Do you have at least 1 or 2 bio classes? All the staff mentioned that even though it's math based, you have to have a bio background of sorts or at least demonstrate an interest in it. That stopped me from applying for it. The work is very cool though to say the least.

Edit: the faculty were all very nice there.

Likes 1 person
UChicago has some faculty you may be interested in (likely not, but may as well mention them) - Aaron Dinner, Jonathan Weare and Greg Voth.

Likes 1 person
Hey there. Computational/statistical bio is a very neat program. I met some UCLA faculty in that program about a year ago before I applied to grad school just to learn what's it's like - a family friend is a professor there. I ended up going for physics elsewhere, but I learned a lot from visiting.

Do you have at least 1 or 2 bio classes? All the staff mentioned that even though it's math based, you have to have a bio background of sorts or at least demonstrate an interest in it. That stopped me from applying for it. The work is very cool though to say the least.

Edit: the faculty were all very nice there.
I do have some bio classes (1 year of general biology) and a summer internship involving genetics and computational bio. I've also picked up some bio from sitting in on classes and video lectures. Is there a particular area/course that they prefer?