1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical/Computational Biology - grad school

1. Jun 27, 2014 #1
    I'm getting ready to apply to grad schools, and I'm having a hard time choosing schools to apply to. I'm an applied math major, and I'm really interested in mathematical/computational biology. I don't necessarily want to study math in grad school, but I'm open to math programs with a more interdisciplinary approach. So far, I have this tentative list:

UCSF - Integrative Program in Quantitative Biology
    UCSD - Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
    Duke University - Math
    Duke University - Computational Biology & Bioinformatics

Can anyone offer advice/suggestions to help me decide which to apply to?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2014 #2
    Hey there. Computational/statistical bio is a very neat program. I met some UCLA faculty in that program about a year ago before I applied to grad school just to learn what's it's like - a family friend is a professor there. I ended up going for physics elsewhere, but I learned a lot from visiting.

Do you have at least 1 or 2 bio classes? All the staff mentioned that even though it's math based, you have to have a bio background of sorts or at least demonstrate an interest in it. That stopped me from applying for it. The work is very cool though to say the least.

Edit: the faculty were all very nice there.

4. Jun 27, 2014 #3
    UChicago has some faculty you may be interested in (likely not, but may as well mention them) - Aaron Dinner, Jonathan Weare and Greg Voth.

5. Jun 27, 2014 #4
    I do have some bio classes (1 year of general biology) and a summer internship involving genetics and computational bio. I've also picked up some bio from sitting in on classes and video lectures. Is there a particular area/course that they prefer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook