Mathematical Induction Question

In summary, the task is to find a simplified expression for the product (1-1/2^2)(1-1/3^2)...(1-1/n^2) and verify its validity for all integers n ≥ 2. One approach is to write out a few terms and notice a pattern, leading to the simplified expression (n^2-1)/n^2. This can then be proven by canceling out common terms in the product.
XJellieBX
Find a simplifying expression for the product
(1-[tex]1/2^{2}[/tex])(1-[tex]1/3^{2}[/tex])...(1-[tex]1/n^{2}[/tex])
and verify its validity for all integers n [tex]\geq[/tex] 2

I know how to do the second part of the question, but no idea how to approach the simplifying of the expression. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid I can't help you with an exact answer, but perhaps you could apply sigma in this situation?

I'm not positive though, so please don't go all out with sigma, there's a high chance that I'm wrong. Hopefully one of the geniuses on this site will be along shortly to help you more!

I am puzzled as to how you can do the second part of the problem (verify that the given expression is equal to the simplified expression) without knowing what the simplified expression is!

If I were looking for a simplified expression, I think I would start by writing out a few terms: (1- 1/4)(1- 1/9)(1- 1/16)...= (3/4)(8/9)(15/16)... which makes it easy to see that each term is of the form (n2-1)/n2. Furthermore n2- 1= (n-1)(n+1) so we should be able to cancel each numerator with part of the previous and next denominator.

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of proof used in mathematics to prove statements that depend on a variable n being an integer. It involves proving that a statement is true for a base case (usually n = 1) and then showing that if the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n, it must also be true for the next value of n. This process is repeated until the statement is shown to be true for all values of n.

When should mathematical induction be used?

Mathematical induction should be used when trying to prove a statement that depends on a variable n being an integer. It is particularly useful for proving statements involving sequences, series, and factorial expressions.

What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

In weak induction, the statement is shown to be true for the base case and for the next value of n. In strong induction, the statement is shown to be true for the base case and for all values of n up to the current value being considered. Strong induction is typically used when the statement being proven depends on multiple previous values of n.

What are the limitations of mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that depend on a variable n being an integer. It cannot be used to prove statements involving real numbers or continuous functions. Additionally, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all values of n. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for some values of n.

How is mathematical induction related to recursion?

Mathematical induction and recursion are closely related concepts. In mathematical induction, the proof is based on the assumption that the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n. This can be seen as a recursive step, where the proof of a statement for n depends on the proof of the same statement for n-1. Similarly, in recursion, a function is defined in terms of itself, with a base case acting as the starting point. Both mathematical induction and recursion involve breaking a problem into smaller, simpler parts and using those solutions to build a solution for the original problem.