Mathematical methods: logarithms question

In summary: No, that doesn't help. The terms would form a geometric progression if all of them were the same sign, but that's not the case here.
StillAnotherDave
Homework Statement
The question is simply to show that the LHS of the equation equals the RHS and determine the value of A.
Relevant Equations
(e^2x+e^x-1-e^(-x))/(e^x+1)=Asinhx
I know that sinhx = 1/2(e^x-e^-x) and that e^2x-1 = e^x(e^x-e^-x) and similar identities but don't know how to get any further. Any hints at where to go with this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
StillAnotherDave said:
Homework Statement: The question is simply to show that the LHS of the equation equals the RHS and determine the value of A.
Homework Equations: (e^2x+e^x-1-e^(-x))/(e^x+1)=Asinhx

I know that sinhx = 1/2(e^x-e^-x) and that e^2x-1 = e^x(e^x-e^-x) and similar identities but don't know how to get any further. Any hints at where to go with this would be appreciated.

Hint: try to factorise.

1572797121242.png

I guessed that was what it was!

Yep, I get that the there should be some way to extract a factor but don't know how! Is there a way to take out a factor of e^x + 1 from the numerator for example?

StillAnotherDave said:
Yep, I get that the there should be some way to extract a factor but don't know how! Is there a way to take out a factor of e^x + 1 from the numerator for example?

Yes there is. What do you have to multiply ##e^x + 1## by to get the numerator?

Okay, that sounds promising. Let me play around with that and get back to you. Thanks!

It seems too the terms of the numerator form a G.P. Maybe that will help.

It's curious that the title of the thread is "logarithms question" but there are no logs in the question. o0)

Likes StillAnotherDave
DEvens said:
It's curious that the title of the thread is "logarithms question" but there are no logs in the question. o0)

Very true!

Thanks all for the help. Once I realized (the obvious) that "1" can be expressed in terms of e things resolved themselves.

WWGD said:
It seems too the terms of the numerator form a G.P. Maybe that will help.
No, that doesn't help. The terms would form a geometric progression if all of them were the same sign, but that's not the case here.

StillAnotherDave said:
Thanks all for the help. Once I realized (the obvious) that "1" can be expressed in terms of e things resolved themselves.
It's simpler to just factor things. The numerator is ##e^{2x} + e^x - 1 - e^{-x} = e^x(e^x + 1) - e^{-x}(e^x + 1) = (e^x - e^{-x})(e^x + 1)##

Mark44 said:
It's simpler to just factor things. The numerator is ##e^{2x} + e^x - 1 - e^{-x} = e^x(e^x + 1) - e^{-x}(e^x + 1) = (e^x - e^{-x})(e^x + 1)##

Yep. That's what I meant. Initially I didn't see that ##e^{-x}e^{x}## is equivalent to 1.

Mark44 said:
No, that doesn't help. The terms would form a geometric progression if all of them were the same sign, but that's not the case here.
Or if the signs were alternating, but that's not the case either. Will have my espresso _ before_ PF'ing from now on :).

1. What are logarithms and how are they used in mathematical methods?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that represent the relationship between the exponent and the base of a power. They are used in mathematical methods to simplify complex mathematical calculations and to solve exponential equations.

2. How do you solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you need to use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power properties. You can also convert the equation into an exponential form and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Common logarithms have a base of 10, while natural logarithms have a base of e, which is approximately equal to 2.71828. Natural logarithms are used to solve exponential equations involving the constant e, while common logarithms are used for other types of calculations.

4. How do you graph logarithmic functions?

To graph a logarithmic function, you first need to determine the domain and range of the function. Then, plot points on a graph by substituting different values for the input variable. Finally, connect the points to create a smooth curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in a variety of fields, such as science, finance, and technology. They are used to measure the intensity of earthquakes, to calculate pH levels in chemistry, to model population growth, and to compress data in computer algorithms.