Mathematical Physics: Techniques, Resources & Challenges

In summary, the student is falling behind in their theoretical physics class and needs help learning the material. They've tried online resources, but find them difficult to follow. They've also checked out books from the library, but only found one that they can use.
Gale
So I'm taking a class that's actually called techniques of theoretical physics. Basically, its applying math to physics. Topics we cover are: Vector Calc, Diff EQ, Linear Alg, and Fourier series, (i think, that's from memory.) problem is, the professor is insanely fast, the material is hard, and i don't have access to a book yet, (he failed to put on on reserve, and its currently checked out, and i don't have the funds for books this semester...) So, I'm already falling pretty badly behind, and i really need to catch up. We've been going over divs and curls and line and surface integrals and now we're on the delta function. Plus we've been working in all sorts of coordinate systems that I'm not used to. So i need to find a comprehensive but understandable resource to try and learn the material from. I've been to a few online websites, but I've had a hard time being able to follow them. Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
While I can't vouche for it personally, ZapperZ recommended Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science by Boas. You may want to check out (at least) Part III of his series (check the sticky thread at the top this forum)

thats the book i need for class, but i can't afford it. and its checked out of the library. But if anyone has that and wants to scan my homework for me so i can do it, that'd be great!

Hope this helps...
http://www.physics.miami.edu/nearing/mathmethods/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Gale said:
thats the book i need for class, but i can't afford it. and its checked out of the library. But if anyone has that and wants to scan my homework for me so i can do it, that'd be great!

Have you checked Google books? You might be able to get some of it from there.

cscott said:
Have you checked Google books? You might be able to get some of it from there.

Unless Gale is good at hacking, there won't more than three or four pages shown. :rolleyes: I think you can delete cookies from your browser to view a few more.

On Amazon if you buy one book, you have the right to pretty much read a whole book with the "Search Inside" feature.
I've bought numerous books so, Gale, if you find any particular book that looks interesting, and it has the "Search Inside" feature, I can save a couple of the pages for you if you want... (and e-mail them or something)

James Nearing's book is pretty decent, however. :)

Wow, you're in trouble. I guess my comment about knowing most of the material before you go to get help was uninformed if you don't have a book.

Actually I think you can get a copy from the library. I just checked their site and they have 2 of your books available, one of them you can check out and the other on reserve (assuming you mean the book by Mary L. Boas and not Merle C. Potter).
http://www.library.umass.edu/
Title search for "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science" gets 3 results by Boas, only one of them is checked out.

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that utilizes mathematical tools and techniques to study and describe physical phenomena. It involves the use of mathematical models, equations, and theories to understand fundamental laws and principles governing the behavior of matter and energy.

2. What are some common techniques used in mathematical physics?

Some common techniques used in mathematical physics include differential equations, calculus, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, and group theory. These tools are used to formulate and solve mathematical models that describe physical systems and their behaviors.

3. What are some resources for learning mathematical physics?

There are many resources available for learning mathematical physics, including textbooks, online courses and tutorials, lecture notes, and research papers. Some popular textbooks in this field include "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas.

4. What are some challenges faced in mathematical physics?

One of the major challenges in mathematical physics is the complexity of physical systems and their behaviors. This requires the development of sophisticated mathematical models and techniques to accurately describe and predict these systems. Additionally, the integration of different branches of mathematics and physics can also pose challenges.

5. How is mathematical physics used in real-world applications?

Mathematical physics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science. It is used to develop models and algorithms for solving problems in these areas, such as predicting the behavior of complex systems, optimizing processes, and simulating physical phenomena. It also plays a crucial role in theoretical physics, helping to develop and test new theories and hypotheses about the universe.