1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Statistics good for Computer Scientists?

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    I am finished with the first bachelor year at Computer Science and the next courses are: Assembly, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Java. Many people from my class said that they will not take Statistics as it's not that helpful to them and I was thinking of how accurate that is. Is Statistics something that a Computer Scientist will use? Else I could just pick up an other course to replace Statistics.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2
    I think it depends on what you are interested in. If you like computational physics, it will not be too bad to know statistics: Brownian motion and random walks.

But knowing statistics in general is a good skill to have, I think at least.

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3
    Everyone should know statistics. Take the course. ;)

Also, Java? Blegh.

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4
    There are a lot of areas in CS that require some very good statistical analysis. Neural networks, image processing, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence.... these are some things that come to my mind when I think CS and stats.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook