1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book

1. Jul 9, 2017 #1
    So, i am currently studying physics in a brazilian university. I am going to have a Calculus 2 course which, in Brazil, covers Ordinary Differential Equations and multi-variable differential calculus. So which challenging and rigourous books would you guys recommend for that? Thanks for the attention!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you know which text book they will be using, it would be good to look at that first. Other than that, for self study, I have always been a fan of the Schaum's Outline series of books. They are fairly inexpensive and have a lot of worked examples and exercises.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. Jul 11, 2017 #3
    I would not call it rigorous by Mathematics standards, but Mardsen and Tromba: Vector Calculus fits the bill. It has a lot more substance than your typical intro Multi. Calculus book.

5. Jul 11, 2017 #4
    Check out the second volume of Apostol's Calculus.

6. Jul 12, 2017 #5
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check on all of them.

7. Jul 16, 2017 #6
    Rigorous multi variable calc would be on the level of Spivak Calculus on Manifolds or Munkres Analysis on Manifolds. Are you sure you want rigour for a first course?

8. Aug 8, 2017 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted