Mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book

In summary, the conversation revolves around the recommendation of books for a Calculus 2 course in Brazil that covers Ordinary Differential Equations and multi-variable differential calculus. Some suggestions include looking at the textbook they will be using, the Schaum's Outline series, Mardsen and Tromba's Vector Calculus, Apostol's Calculus, and Spivak Calculus on Manifolds or Munkres Analysis on Manifolds for a more rigorous approach. One person also recommends a book by Serge Lang titled "Analysis I" published in 1968, which may now be called "Undergraduate Analysis."
Rodrigo Schmidt
So, i am currently studying physics in a brazilian university. I am going to have a Calculus 2 course which, in Brazil, covers Ordinary Differential Equations and multi-variable differential calculus. So which challenging and rigourous books would you guys recommend for that? Thanks for the attention!

Likes Math Amateur
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know which textbook they will be using, it would be good to look at that first. Other than that, for self study, I have always been a fan of the Schaum's Outline series of books. They are fairly inexpensive and have a lot of worked examples and exercises.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur and Rodrigo Schmidt
I would not call it rigorous by Mathematics standards, but Mardsen and Tromba: Vector Calculus fits the bill. It has a lot more substance than your typical intro Multi. Calculus book.

Check out the second volume of Apostol's Calculus.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check on all of them.

Likes Math Amateur
Rigorous multi variable calc would be on the level of Spivak Calculus on Manifolds or Munkres Analysis on Manifolds. Are you sure you want rigour for a first course?

1. What is the level of difficulty for a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book?

The level of difficulty for a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book can vary depending on the reader's background and mathematical maturity. However, in general, these types of books are considered to be more challenging than traditional calculus textbooks as they often require a strong foundation in mathematical reasoning and proof writing.

2. How is a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book different from a traditional calculus textbook?

A mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book focuses more on the theoretical aspects of calculus, such as rigorous definitions and proofs, rather than just teaching computational techniques. It also typically assumes a higher level of mathematical maturity from the reader.

3. What topics are typically covered in a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book?

A mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book will cover all the standard topics in second-semester calculus, such as techniques of integration, applications of integration, sequences and series, and multivariable calculus. However, it may also include additional topics such as epsilon-delta proofs, Taylor series, and vector calculus.

4. Is a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book necessary for all students?

No, a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book is not necessary for all students. It is typically recommended for students who are planning to pursue a mathematics or science-related degree, as well as those who have a strong interest in the theoretical aspects of calculus.

5. Can a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book be used for self-study?

Yes, a mathematically rigorous Calculus 2 book can be used for self-study. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical reasoning before attempting to study from this type of book. It is also recommended to have access to a knowledgeable instructor or peer for assistance and clarification.